Got me a Monster!

Navarre

Marine Moderator
Reaction score
Ok well what a shock i just recieved.

I was just making a few enquiries on another board about the price of 12mm glass as i was considering a deep tank (maybe 3ft), obviously 10mm glass over 2ft deep is risky so i wanted to get some prices.

I then got a PM froma good friend of mine who travels alot to university. He read my thread and has just given me his old tank as he cant run it with all the travelling (he has a tank with him in universoty also).

Its not a deep tank when compared to the depth i was asking about but its a true monster of a tank and its FREE!!!!! :hey: :hey: :cool: :rofl: :kana: :drool:

7ftx 2ftx 2.5ft (i think) This makes it about 220 gallons!
Just gotta buy a new house to put it in now :angry:

Yep anything above 2ft in height needs 12mm glass because of the pressure at that height.

Wow that's a big tank! Is it going to replace your current one?

Yeah its gonna have to. We simply dont have the room to put any more tanks in the living room. Gonna have to completely redesign the living room as it is :-(

Will have to think the whole process over as there really is only 1 wall that it can go on and this is a floor that may need strengthening. Also the wall the tank will go on is the wall that the chairs and sofa are located. Now they will have to go where my 100 gallon is situated. Its gonna be a huge headache but if i can pull this off its well worth it.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
*Formulates evil plan to steal tank....* :p

You definitely have to post pics when you get that monster set up! :nod:

Well as it stands thing are looking pretty bleak at the moment. The tank is mine to collect but after doing some measurements i cannot see h ow im going to get it into the living room :crazy: :sad: The hallway is 3ft wide. the tank is 2.5ft wide.. ok it will go down the hallway on its end. the doorway into the living room is 6.5ft and the tank is 7ft. So the tank needs tobe tilted to get into the living toom howver with the hallway being 3ft wide and the tank is 2.5ft wide (the doorway is under2.5ft wide so i have to make sure the 2ft part of the tank fits the width of the door) this meansi only have 6inches of room to tilt the tank. I dont thinki can do this and get the tank under the door :sad:

Im looking into various methids but so far im not getting very far. The only certain way to get it into the room is to dismantle it and re-silicon it in the living room :crazy: :sad: NOt something i am overly keen on doing to be honest as i have never tried building a tank of this size before!

Take the door or the inside of the door-frame off! That's what we do whenever we gotta move large pieces of furniture. :thumbs:

Navarre, I am completely serious when I say this.... so don't laugh (yet)

Patching drywall is easier than reassembling a glass aquarium ;)

So, that said, come down the hall and cut a hole in the wall where you'd have to lean it up... if it's gonna get wedged in place. I have the utmost faith in you, man. If we could move a couch in my friend's apartment through a standard door frame, down a narrow hall, through another door with a quick 90 degree turn.... and not damage anything..... you CAN move that tank!!

Now, get to work, and show us pictures ;)

Heheh thanks for the suggstions guys.
Well the wall aint gonna be so easy. Our house is not made of wood and each wall is made of brick (even the interior walls) In fact the entire bloody house is like a brick fortress except the floor thats made of wood and i gotta find a way of reinforcing that!

Windows.. yep thought of that. Might be an option but these windows are very old and im a little worried about trying to fiddle with them :*)

The doorframe.. Thedoor frame isnt the proboem... the doorframe without the door is 29inches... The tank (depending which way its turned) is 30inches or 24 inches. If its turned to make 24 inches then the hallway doesnt seem wide enough to tilt the tank. if its turned to make 30 inches then the tank can be tilted easily but its 1 inch too wide :crazy: :blink: :grr: :sly: :/ :*) :sad:

Hmmmmmm.... my dad and my grandad (re)built our house (it is about a 110 years old and was falling apart) and my grandad has built several houses, so I'm gonna ask them how you could get your tank in without any major structural damage. I do think, however, that whatever you have to do your house would be much easier to re-build than a 7ft tank! :D

Not that simple :sad:

The house is rented from a housing associasion. The mother of the receptionist who worksin the repairs and mantanance department of my housing association only lives 2 doors away.. should i take the window out without permission then i will be in deep trouble!

:sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back