Good News!can I Get Some Pics?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have showed her the stuff like that, and she thinks that you guys don't know what your talking about, and just trying to stress me out more. :X :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I tell her, "mom please these people know a lot more about fish then me and you" defenatly you. So what if I put my three tetras in the tank and let them cycle the tank out? Would that work? There's no getting through to her.

often tetras are less hardy than bettas im afraid.although it does depend.
i understand how you feel about not being allowed.After about a year my parents finally accpeted the fact i know more than them about something :hey: and just do what i tell them.....like when i NEEDED that 200gal or all my fishies will die

often tetras are less hardy than bettas im afraid.although it does depend.
i understand how you feel about not being allowed.After about a year my parents finally accpeted the fact i know more than them about something :hey: and just do what i tell them.....like when i NEEDED that 200gal or all my fishies will die

Nice, got a 200g out the threat that your fish will die. Good work! :thumbs: Getting what you want is fun.

Hey Mac, I agree with Jollysue, you should make a list of what you need to do and stick with it. Also, maybe you are pestering your mother too much. Perhaps I'm overstepping, and I sincerely apologize if I'm doing so, I don't want to offend, but I would lay off for just a bit. Be content with what you have and show her how responsible you are by caring for the little girl betta, and maybe she'll turn around.

Case in point, my father, God rest his soul, absolutely hated cats!! With a passion. I love cats and wanted one very badly. Well, instead of constantly asking, I started volunteering to help with neighborhood cats, feeding, helping catch them to spay, neuter, etc. Well, after a year or two, my dad caved in and let me have one, but he wouldn't have anything to do with it, so I cared for it. Guess what, I caught him petting her one day, and enjoying it! Before he died, he managed to make friends with Tabitha, the cat I had at the time, and a scrawny neighborhood cat named Blackie. He especially liked Blackie and would feed him and pet him everyday before he went to work and even would get up early when he retired to care for Blackie. I wish he was still around, he would have loved Lily, my current cat. This story only shows that people can change especially if the pressure is taken off. I know that you want your sorority now, but wait a little. Patience is a virtue, and trust me, your mother will see your maturity regarding your situation and hopefully, she'll learn to accept your new hobby. If I overstepped, I am truely sorry.

Well, I've got good news, I got Ammonia! Now is this the right kind? It says Clear Ammonia all purpose cleaner Great Vali=ue (got it from Wal-Mart. It's ingrediats are softened water, Ammonia, and cleaning agent. And it says contains no Phosphorus. Did I get the right stuff? I'll start cycling in the morning so I'll make sure I gotthe right kind.

P.S. how much do I add?

Don't read the front of the label, turn it around and read the ingredients. If it says it containes dyes, perfumes, or any other chemicals..then you don't need to use it. And yes ammonia is fairly cheap..it's like the most basic of household cleaning products avaliable.

I'm sorry...do people not see when I post links to stuff...links to easy, simplified stuff? -_- :/

I'll try this one more time.. I'll make it even MORE simple this time..no clicking for the lazy folks, or the ones who don't recognize links when they see them.

Things you will need :
  • "Pure" Ammonia (usually purchased as an all-purpose cleaner, make sure it doesn't have dyes, scents or anything else added)
  • The following Test Kits :
    Ammonia (NH3/NH4)
    Nitrite (NO2)
    Nitrite (NO3)
  • An eyedropper
  • A tank, full of new water, with a filter on and running
  • A heater and airstone. The heater should be set to keep the tempurature in the 80s
    (optional) a bacteria seed from an established tank. This can be an ornament, a plant, a nylon stocking with some gravel, or better yet, some of the filter media.
Firstly, you should add enough ammonia to your tank that it brings the Ammonia reading up to 4 to 6 ppm. The only way to do this is add a drop of ammonia, swirl it around, wait a moment, test the water and repeat. Remember how much ammonia you've added. It will vary depending on what concentration of ammonia you've bought, so there is no real guideline here.

Each day add the same amount of ammonia, and check your ammonia an hour later. When the ammonia reading drops to 0, start testing your water using your Nitrite test kit.

Keep adding the ammonia, and checking the Nitrite every day. The nitrite level should climb, then drop down to 0. This spike will occur over a period of days, so be patient. When your nitrites are at 0 an hour after you add the ammonia, your tank should be cycled. Check your Nitrate to be sure. If your Nitrate reading is high, then you're on the right track.

Now do a big water change (50% to 75%), and add fish.

Congratuations, you're cycled!

And I didn't say show her articles or posts from here..I said use GOOGLE to pull up articles on Cycling...those come from qualified individuals...not people posting on a forum.

And I dunno, but I find all this opposition by your "mom" a tad funny, seeing how you are 16 years old. You are old enough to drive, I feel like if your mom is letting you have a fishtank and is willing to let you buy 5 fish to put in thsi fish tank...that you should be old enough to buy the fish and stuff to go in it and properly take care of it. I don't see why she cares how you treat the water, or what we think....IMHO something isn't adding up, it's like 2+2 is equalling 5 here.

SRC - Your last post was spot on...... I too am wondering about things not adding up..... I have given up almost before I have started, b/c it is just a waste of time......... You have tried, as have many, and where have we gotten in 9 pages?????? Nowhere! :X

Yeah I know. It's almost like trying to reason with my 9 yr old. We go round and round and get no where except irritated with each other lol.

Yoy know what? I do understand what the hell you guys are talking about! I just went out today and nearly got my ass grounded getting everything for the fishless cycle! And SRC don't get smart with me! I have read that article before, plenty of times. Ok so don't get up in here talkin' all that all that bull **** to me, Ok? thank you. I bought the ammonia for .96 cent, and the test kit for 11.oo so yes I do give a damn about my fish so peace, holla and later.

Zac out :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ok, this is Zac's sister and I feel like I should say something because he's getting really mad over here.

For one, he's 15, and doesn't drive. He doesn't work so yes he has to get the money from her, and if it's something that she feels he's wasting his money on, she won't buy it.

Two, I'm sorry and get mad at me all you want, but they're fish. I know they're pets and trust me, I'm against hurting animals of any kind, but honestly they're just fish. They live in little tiny ponds. How is putting them in a 10 gallon tank without cycling it first going to hurt them? I have not researched anything on this subject, just going by what I've heard from my brother, but I just don't understand what the big deal with this is.

The only nice pet store around here closed earlier this year. We have another one, but as my brother said, it's very nasty. I've only bought a bird cage there and just that had roaches all in it. We could go out of town and buy the things he needs there, but I don't understand why all that's necessary when its at walmart.

He's trying to show responsibility with our mom. He is ADD and I know that doesn't affect memory, but he tends to forget things when it comes to something he really wants (I know that's not an excuse, but that's how he is). We can't buy things online because my mom doesn't trust a lot of people when it comes to the internet. She doesn't have a credit card either, so that makes it a little hard to buy things over the internet.

I don't understand why caring for fish is so complicated, I got my first one when I was 5 and have never had problems with them.

As I've said, I don't research this stuff, so please don't get mad at him for something I've said. I haven't read this entire thread, just parts so I'm sure I've missed a few posts. I just felt like I needed to say something.

Hrmm.........SRC Take care of it, im too lazy :lol:

They live in little tiny ponds. How is putting them in a 10 gallon tank without cycling it first going to hurt them?

The tiny ponds......ARE CYCLED....and ponds are bigger than 10galons :D

Excuse me?

#1. You have no right talk to me like that...not when I've gone out of my way to overly and simplistically explain things to you...SEVERAL times..along with other people who have done the same.

#2. I haven't gotten smart with you one time. I wasn't talking TO you when I posted that. You can get mad all you want to, I don't really give a hoot.

#3. We all have explained this over and over to you..and each time you've come up with a different excuse or reason as to why you can't do things the proper way. You have tried to explain away anything and everything..and make excuses. Mostly blaming it on your mother.

#4. You are going to tell me your mother almost grounded you for buying a test kit and some ammonia? I really find that hard to believe. I'm not saying she didn't get mad, but that is a hard lump for me, as a mother, to swallow. It sounds like another excuse or a leverage attempt at getting someone to feel sorry for you, so when you don't do things the proper way and things go wrong that you will have something to blame it all on...seems there has been alot of that going on around this forum lately.

#5. If your mother doesn't allow for such things..why even ask us over and over to do something..when you know what the answer will be. If your mom is such a bear and so over bearing..you should have known this would happen..why even waste all of our time? If your mom has no credit card..exactly how did you plan to have your fish shipped by Synirr..you have to have a credit card to setup a paypal account, right?

This is exactly what I meant by the Sentence "It's almost like trying to reason with my 9 yr old. We go round and round and get no where except irritated with each other" Because my child also gets mad when he doesn't hear what he wants..and wants to mouth off.

You say you've read the article..yet you ask the same questions over and over..then blame it on your ADD because you "didn't remember" ..when the fact is..you never read it the first 10 times I, and others, posted the information. You skimmed and read what you wanted to suit what you wanted to hear.

The way you are acting here..makes me understand why your mother probably won't let you do things. I'm sure you talk to her the same way when she says things you don't want to hear.

Do what you want with those poor, helpless, unassuming fish...you'll get no more advice from me, you little smart mouth punk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back