Good Background Plant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ethos

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm trying to do a planted tank, and I'm starting from scratch. I figure I'm going to start from the back and work to the front.

In the very front though, I think I want Glossostigma elatinoides, and for the background what do you guys think about something like Vallisneria neotropicalis? Thats the kind of look I'd like to master..

Yeh vals are a good background plant, they tend to do best in slightly harder water and with root tabs or plant substrate but should provide a nice backdrop to a scape.

valis is a nice background plant, and mine is in moderately soft water with no root fert yet it`s spreading like wild firer every week i have to take three or four more out of the tank

and i stand knee deep in baby vallis.....

i do add a little fert to the watter, but i`ve had no problem keeping it alive

Are "vallis" easy to come by? Are they cheap?

Anyone got suggestions to what looks nice with it?

Valls are standard stock in most LFS that sell plants, as they are cheap and easy to grow. Twists valls look good if you want to stick with the vall theme.

Sam

Ok..

So for the foreground, whats the deciding factor between a Micro Sword and a dwarf hairgrass?

check out aquariumplants.com

I was very pleased with the quality of plants I got there and the offer vals ten for $6.90.

I got twenty corkscrews. They come small, but very healthy looking, and started growing well immediately.

Carl

General differencebeing the size of the leaf, also hairgrass needs more light than sags to do well

Thanks fishkiller_nomore. I think, though, that I'm going to go with the hairgrass. I like the look of it better than the sword..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back