Goldfish Thin But Bobbing At Water Surface

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

silverrabbit

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hello, well I have a bit of a prob with one of my fancies. I recently had to remove him/her from the main goldie tank because the black moor was harrassing it and because the moor is growing at a ridiculous rate, poor Pumpkin wasn't happy.

So anyways, before I moved Pumpkin, he/she'd been having a little bit of an issue with swimming and wasnt as active, but I put that down to being chased too much the past couple weeks. Now he's on his own, i'm noticing the full extent of the problem!

Tank size:110l, Juwel Rekord 800
pH:8
ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:40 (we have high tap nitrates)
kH:no idea
gH:no idea
tank temp:22C

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): Usually a very rotund goldie (literally golf-ball round), noticed that he's looking a bit skinnier than normal. Seen him eat his sinking fancy pellets, but occasionally he spits them back out. Having issues staying balance in the water and is gulping air at surface most of the time, even with good surface agitation. Suspected swimbladder but didn't know if the weight loss indicated internal bacteria infection. Pumpkin can sometimes be seen spinning as if doing water roly-polys, after which he returns to surface and gulps.

Volume and Frequency of water changes:30% weekly, but double filtration

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Nutrafin Aqua Plus

Tank inhabitants: Pumpkin the fancy goldie

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: not that I know of

Is it swimbladder? :unsure:

Because he's been losing weight I do not think it is swim bladder, it may be internal parasites as you suspect, Are his poo's normal or are they a white/clear colour? This is often a sign of internal parasites.
It may be worth trying to feed him some veggies, like some peas to get his intestines going to see what's going on.

Found this information on this website http://www.geocities.com/swimbladderhelp/index.html which may be a useful read.

If your fish is floating at the surface...
They may have swallowed air. Pre soak their food.
They might be constipated.
Feed two small deshelled peas per day, until they return to normal.
Include leafy vegetables and fruits in their diet.
You may have over fed them. Feed only small amounts of food per fish.

*Your goldfish may have developed a sensitivity to the grains included in the pellets or flakes you are feeding them. Try feeding a diet consisting of fresh frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, boiled vegetables and fresh fruits.
This may eliminate their floating problem.

*If your fish is head standing...
They may have intestinal worms or may be suffering from toxic water conditions.
*Check their mouth. Did they try to swallow gravel?
Remove it, with tweezers if possible. It may pass through them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Just so you know it's also not a good idea to mix goldfish breeds as they will fight as you have already found out.

Thanks very much :good:

To be fair to myself, they're both "telescope eye" goldies so are pretty much the same, it's just that the moor's been gaining length and the orange/black "Panda moor" has been gaining girth instead.

Gonna try those suggestions, that website seems pretty cool :)

Thankees!

*sigh* he didn't make it. Died last night :( I honestly thought he'd pull through cos after a good feeding of bloodworms and daphnia he really perked up. No good though, very sad :(

*sigh* he didn't make it. Died last night :( I honestly thought he'd pull through cos after a good feeding of bloodworms and daphnia he really perked up. No good though, very sad :(

Sorry to hear about this but at least you know what to do if it happens again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back