The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick one...

Anyone see an issue with putting 5 platys in with a comet goldfish as a temporary measure until the goldfish gets rehomed? They would all be in a Juwel Vision 260l so space/filtration/heating is not an issue just compatibility.

:)

Wouldn't have thought so if you kinda strike a balance between temp for them, maybe around 75'. Having said that, if the comet is in a warmish room it won't mind going up a degree or two. Is there alot of difference between goldfish flake and tropical? I wouldn't mind betting it's pretty similar, just that I have never bothered with cold water fish.

The goldfish is currently in a tank at 24c (same as the tank it was rescued from) and being fed tropical flake (as that's all I have) and certainly happier than it was in the 6" of dirty water it was in. It is due to be rehomed in a pond next week so this is all just temporary but wanted to make sure our platys would be ok before moving them.

The whole reason for moving them is down to the dwarf frogs in their tank being an absolute pain to target feed without the platys stealing everything so that's going to be a species only dwarf frog tank :)

Do you have any way of staggering the introduction to the pond? If it has been in a tank for a good while, am just thinking it's going to take alot of acclimatising given the cold nights we are now having. Just have to excuse me if am way off the mark, as I said am not a cold water fish guy, was just thinking out loud really. Good to hear of fish being rescued btw, nice one.

Was planning on popping it into an unheated tank for a few days before and then floating it in the pond for a good hour or two when finally releasing it.

There's not really much more that I can do than that, nearest LFS is 17 miles away and wouldn't rehome it anyway and I don't have the time, space or inclination to keep it long term so it's going to have to take its chances :/

nope, you can't do much more. Funnily enough, was gonna ask you about an un-heated tank, tba didn't want to sound condesceding. As it is you've given it a good second chance anyway.

I may try convincing the owner to keep it when she picks up the tank (after a lot of instruction on maintenance, etc.), it's not ideal but possibly better than a pond at moment. I could always move it in Spring if that was the case.

It's a shame, goldfish and betas have got better lives now, but the old "fish in a bowl" image has got alot to answer for, as have my little mermaid/spongebob tanks..........have you ever read the instructions in them? No mention of cycling, only comes into play if that's the way you got it home! Am afraid, sadly, for most new fishkeepers ignorance is bliss, until ofcourse they have the heartbreak of losing their new fish. Wouldn't it be great if we could get all lfs's to push forums like this, both for their benefit and the benefit of their customers. Great forum with people who have a genuine desire to help and share their experiences!

I think as long as you stagger the transition & give it a week or so in the unheated tank, the comet will be ok, and long term much happier in the pond.
Good luck & well done with the rescue.

Jeez if the owner did as you said, please please just put it in the pond!! How you said to acclimatise it will be fine! Far better than being neglected in a tank and dying young for want of a pond!

Goldfish will begin temperature acclimatising tomorrow in a spare unheated tank and will be in a lovely big pond (I built it so have a rough idea of volume - approx. 2000g) by the end of next week :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back