Golden white cloud mountain minnow, very pale?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Graciee

Reaction score
Hi I've been googling it lots but can't seem to find anything so I thought I'd ask on here. One of them is very like pale, washed out, not vibrant orange like the others. It is eating and behaving normally tho. Does anyone know what causes this?

Is hard to capture in a picture but without the lights on the camera shows it up a bit better.(it's a very obvious difference in real life)

There's 6 of these fish, a couple amano shrimps, a butterfly loach and some assassin snails in here.

Attachments

• 20240128_102728(0).jpg
    20240128_102728(0).jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 25
What you have is a reasonably recent product of line breeding. It isn't a natural fish, but a cultivated form, and they don't always come out right.

Paleness is usually a sign of stress or poor health, if a fish begins with wild type colouration. Hopefully, with your fish, it's just a matter of variation.

What you have is a reasonably recent product of line breeding. It isn't a natural fish, but a cultivated form, and they don't always come out right.

Paleness is usually a sign of stress or poor health, if a fish begins with wild type colouration. Hopefully, with your fish, it's just a matter of variation.
Oh that's interesting!

The worrying thing is I've had them about 7 months now, and I'm not sure this one was always pale like this tbh, but they moved so fast at first, they're calmer now so I can really look at them all. So it could be sick I guess. Guess there's no way of knowing!

As GaryE said its probably a colour variation. golden white cloud mountain minnows can can vary quite a bit from white looking. to gold some can have a variation of colour in their fins.

As GaryE said its probably a colour variation. golden white cloud mountain minnows can can vary quite a bit from white looking. to gold some can have a variation of colour in their fins.
Yes hopefully it's just that!

Do you know if neon tetras can live with the fish I have? I'm thinking of getting them a larger tank, and I'd like some variety but not sure what else I can put with them.

Yes, white clouds and neon Tetris can happily live together.
A colour variation from the from the normal type. white cloud
Yellow tipped white clouds.

IMG_6964.jpg

Not all specimens will have the same intensity in coloration. But also the mood they're in can make them change color.

I’m sorry to hear your fish died ): I was going to say that 2 days ago I noticed one of my ember tetras was pale just like in your photo and they died the next day. So sad
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your fish :(

I wish I knew what happened to mine tbh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back