alexbaker736

Reaction score
Forgive me if I posted this in the wrong spot.

I have a Gold Inca Snail named Seymour. Iā€™m assuming heā€™s male but itā€™s hard to tell.

Iā€™ve had him for about eight months and Iā€™m fairly certain his health is deteriorating. There are black stripes in his shell that, when I rubbed them (probably not a good idea, I know), left little indents and pits in his shell. Kinda like peeling off the layers of an onion. He doesnā€™t smell bad and he still moves around quite a bit.

Every now and again a big long tentacle will come out from his left side and just kinda float there, and the lady at PetSmart said that meant they were happy (but knowing PetSmartā€™s track record with this sort of issue I donā€™t trust that).

I read that it could be a calcium problem, so last night I bought some cuttlebones (the real kind, not the weird powdery substitute) and put a small chunk underneath some rocks in the small container that my betta came in. I have him in there right now to try and nurse him back to health.

I have water test strips that show alkalinity, nitrates, nitrites, pH, and water hardness, and they all are in safe levels in both the fish tank and his small container.

The fish tank is 5 gallons and contains a 1-year-old male betta who is in perfectly fine health. Heā€™s pretty chill and after the first week or so just kinda left Seymour alone.

Since putting him in his own container, every morning I feed him an algae pellet and every other morning I plan on cleaning out the waste somehow. Iā€™ll attach pictures once Iā€™m able to.

TL;DR: my gold Inca snailā€™s shell is black and pitting so I have him in a separate container with a cuttlebone chunk to try and nurse him back to health.

Am I doing this right or is there a different issue here?

Most reactions

trending

Back