Going To Take The Plunge

Thanks yet again Ski. More sound advice as always. Think I'm beginning to get thinkgs straight now and have been reading up about SW chemistry today and my head is swimming but it's starting to click.

I will post pics all the way throught he process as IMHO this was one of the most useful tools I found when I first began my research and it's always nice to see other members tanks. At the moment the tank is being used as a temporary FW fry tank will I re-arrange my FW stocking in my other 2 tanks. I'll include a picture of it in it's current state when I begin my journal post. I've been very careful so far and the only additive I've added to aquasafe (chlorine remover) so as not to cause any issues but the tank will be scrubbed out with white vinegar and water prior to the swap over.

OK checked out the stats of the RI water and the fresh DI is reading 1.6 microS/cm or 1.02 TDS (ppm)

I think that should be more that good enough. Must be a good system though as the reclaim RI which is used in our ultra sonic was reading 2.88 ppm TDS although this reclaim system contains detergents so would not be useable. The fresh system however comes from the main supply.

And the best news is I've just been to my LFS to give them some fry and they are now stocking tank bred Pecula clowns.

Very cool. Pretty much any source under 10ppm that comes from tapwater orignially is suitable for use in our aquaria. My RO unit typically discharges 2ppm (no DI cartridge) just after a flushing. And within a month or so it gets up to 4ppm which is when I re-flush it. You're well within the range at 1.6 ;) Do you know how your filtration achieves such a low TDS? Is it triple distilled?

Not to sure on the details but there is a combination of RI catridges around 2 foot long each and filter bottles the size of diving bottles about 4 of these are devoted to the fresh DI system. We are blessed with very good water quality in this area before any treatment so this may have something to do with it. For example when I test tap water treated with de-chlorinator it measures 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 0ppm nitrate.

cool, usually tapwater only has carbonate, calcium, and magnesium in it making up the bulk of its ions. nitrate and phosphate are somewhat common as are silicates. no tapwater source in the world better have ammonia or nitrite in it... Those are poisonous to us just as they are fish ;)

Fair point but didn't think about it when I posted. I have a couple more questions as if you hadn't answered enough.

Stocking orientated this time. Is there any personality differences between true and false clowns Ocelaris and Percula I think. The reason I ask is that they only difference I have been able to find is with relation to markings and would prefer more outgoing fish. Also along the same lines as I think this would be pushing the stocking limit for a 15 usg would a skimmer be worthwhile. From what I understand they are not normally worth it under 30 usg but have also heard the heavier the stocking the more need there is to skim.

Thanks again

The only real differenec in my oppinion is appearance and likelihood of hosting in anemones. Wild-caught individuals of either species will host most often. Among tank-raised individuals usually percula's will host more often than ocellaris in my experience in dealing with other reefers. I have 2 ocellaris and they're always out for show. I've seen perculas and their behavior is identical to mine. No big difference ;)

As for skimming, I would only do it if you want to keep harder corals. And you can make that decision later down the line anyways. A 15g is pretty easy to fit a small skimmer into

That's useful to know about the 2 species I didn't think it was possible to keep a nem in a nano tank although I would love to add one for them to pair with if it would be possible.

The skimming makes sense just wasn't sure whether the bioload affected the need to skim or whether it was just down to the choice of livestock and their specific water conditions.

A nem suitable for a clown to host in a nano is a very bad idea imo. Requires too much lighting/feeding if you ask me. I more posted that for knowledge purposes as opposed to suggesting that you do it ;)

A nem suitable for a clown to host in a nano is a very bad idea imo. Requires too much lighting/feeding if you ask me. I more posted that for knowledge purposes as opposed to suggesting that you do it ;)

Thanks for the reply Ski. I've been away for a few days so haven't been able to reply till now.

I knew about the lighting issue but not about the feeding. Either way I've heard several times that nems are no good for nano's. Never mind gives me an excuse to set up a large tank in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back