Going on holiday, how long can fish last without food?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Or if your uncomfortable with that just invest in a small automatic feeder... Also before you leave, I would do one very small water change just to keep it a little fresh while you're gone (this is just my personal opinion)

But you should still be fine not feeding them for a few days... I wouldnt worry

Or if your uncomfortable with that just invest in a small automatic feeder...
Automatic feeders are great when they work as they should, but if they don't...

...If they don't, then you can get too much food dumped into the water at once and that WILL cause problems.
Given that the fish will be fine for 2-3 weeks and that 3 days won't be noticed, I believe that there's absolutely no need to take the small risk of an automatic feeder going wrong.

...If they don't, then you can get too much food dumped into the water at once and that WILL cause problems.
Given that the fish will be fine for 2-3 weeks and that 3 days won't be noticed, I believe that there's absolutely no need to take the small risk of an automatic feeder going wrong.
yes... machines are only as perfect as the people who made them...

Yep, have to concur with all of the above, have heard horror stories over the years concerning automatic feeders and feeding block.

Just simply not worth the risk, especially just for only 3 days, the fish will be perfectly fine and they’ll forage around the tank for little bits of food as they would do in the wild, no bad thing.

As other have mentioned, most healthy fish species will easily survive a week with no food being added, I’ve done this when going on holiday leaving CPD, rasboras, endlers and shrimps alone for 10 days and absolutely nothing to report, fish, shrimps and tank were fine.

Only caveat I would add is when going away for a week or more is to do a nice big water change and filter maintenance just to be sure tank is just as should be before leaving for your hols.

Or if your uncomfortable with that just invest in a small automatic feeder...

...If they don't, then you can get too much food dumped
Now 2-3 days, things are better left alone. However, as food for thought I have used the Eheim Everyday Feeder and their larger spring/auger model with great success. Oh you need to run them for several days to ensure the delivery amount is correct, but these programable feeders work really well. they're also quite great for fry/grow out tanks to ensure several feedings per day.
Stay away from auto feeders, food "blocks" or "rings", and anything else (housesitters feeding your fish), etc....they'll be fine for 3 days with no food
I agree that the block feeders that dissolve are just a waste and just pollute the water.
Only caveat I would add is when going away for a week or more is to do a nice big water change and filter maintenance just to be sure tank is just as should be before leaving for your hols.
Nearly never hurts to step up on tank maintenance, but if/when you're not feeding for days, water stays cleaner! :)

I actually have a slow release food block that my grandmother gave me after her poor platy died from dropsy.... but as stated, they should be fine.

I actually have a slow release food block that my grandmother gave me after her poor platy died from dropsy.... but as stated, they should be fine.
My advice is to throw that away.
They don't release the right food, in the right quantity, at the right time and they pollute your tank.

Slow release feeding blocks have flake food imbedded in layers of calcium. If the pH of the aquarium water is acidic, the block dissolves much more quickly than it should and can release most or all of the food in a short period of time.
If the pH of the tank water is well above 7.0, the blocks don't dissolve at all and it is wasted.

For these blocks to work effectively, the pH of the water should be as close to 7.0 as possible.

Having said all this, fish can do 3 days without food and not break a sweat. Unlike mammals and birds that use most of the food they eat to keep warm, most fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water. this means any food they eat is used for growth and movement. This allows fish to go for days, weeks and even months without food and suffer no ill effects.

Going on holiday tomorrow! The aquarium lights are all programmed to automatically turn on and off. And I am reassured by what @Colin_T has said. I will give them a big meal before I go. Thank you all so much for the info!
Have fun and rest easy that the fish will be just fine. When you get back, do a partial water change and feed them a treat like frozen brine shrimp. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back