Goby With 2 Problems

seriously i would go with what wilder said and do some meds! ive been having some problems with my fish these days and let me say hes been a total life saver!!!

I wouldn't use meds.
I thought he looked under weight but wasnt sure never seen one of those fish before
I think Wilder just guessed at this one anyways :rolleyes:

except that wilder knows little to nothing about Dragon Gobies (as she freely admitted earlier).
Listen to nmonks, he's our resident brackish fish expert
Yeah, like she said.

-Lynden

seriously guys, i dont think its starvation (well he is very skinny) cuz i went to look at him and it looked like it got bigger, also i saw a sort of thing in side of it that looked like a tumor . basically it looks like a very very small pebble (very) laying in the bubble connected to him.
what could it be?
ps: neal, he is the only one in the tank so he should do well with no other fish while recovering.

some pics of lump, bubble thing

100_1340.jpg

100_1339.jpg

100_1341.jpg

blurry pics but u can see it, wut do u think?? :unsure:

that's his stomach.

a dragon goby should look like one long, continuous grey tube. if you can see the edges of its skull, then its starving. if you can see its ribs, then its starving. if you can see its organs, then its starving.

your goby is dying of starvation.

go to petco ASAP and buy gut-loaded frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms. start feeding a cube a day, alternating foods.

honestly, though? that is absolutely the most starved-down but still living dragon goby that i have ever seen. i am 100% astonished that it is still alive.

This fish is chronically undernourished. That much is certain. It is *just* possible it has intestinal worms, but these are relatively rare in wild-caught fish so I don't think that's the issue. On the plus side, fish have an amazing ability to recover from starvation, provided they get optimal conditions. For dragon gobies, I'd go with:

-- SG 1.005-1.010 (i.e, no less than 7 grammes of marine salt mix per litre)
-- pH 7.5-8
-- High hardness
-- Soft sandy substrate with a ceramic or PVC tube for a hiding place
-- Food: small crustaceans and worms (live or frozen), supplemented with algae wafers/pellets
-- Food given at night

Since you're doing some/all of these things now, you're basically on the way. Adding medications is neither here nor there unless you *know* what is wrong with the fish. Many, like copper salts, actually harm fish to some degree, so they're best used as-and-when you need them, not willy-nilly. If you want to go with Melafix or Pimafix, then that's probably fine, and certainly won't do any harm.

Quite what that swelling is, I do not know. It's possibly a tumour, but there are various other things it might be, too. A mass of eggs, intestinal worms, or, as pica_nuttali says, just a regular part of his body. But the immediate problem is to get your fish eating. Incidentally, just as with people, don't overfeed on day one. That will do more harm than good. As pica_nuttali suggests, start with a relatively small amount at first, and feed in regular small amounts if your fish is tame enough to eat during the day.

What salinity (SG) are you keeping the aquarium at?

Cheers,

Neale

PS. Lynden, yes, these gobies do sometimes live in the sea, but they are really estuarine fish and like a moderate salinity, given the choice. SG 1.005-1.015 is the ideal range.

Hows the fish doing. bless him.

wut about krill? :unsure: ill overfeed him now :D

No, you don't want to overfeed him just as much as you don't want to underfeed him- you need to do more research and find out exactly what you should be feeding him and how much/often.

I have posted to you before a couple of weeks back on how your goby was starving, which you denied at the time. Howeever, although you have been seriously underfeeding the goby, it will starve just as much if you don't feed it the right foods.

More importantly though, are you keeping him in a freshwater, brackish or marine tank? What is the temp in the tank? It looks like you are keeping it in freshwater, which is really bad for them;

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav...on%20Gobies.htm

I hate to say it, but your goby looks in a seriously bad way, it may be too late if its stopped eating completely (often a sign of doom when a starving fish stops eating).
Try getting hold of some frozen bloodworms, the krill should be fine too, but if you feed dried foods make sure you soak them before hand so they sink and are eaiser for the goby to find- not all dried foods sink though, so frozen foods are best.

Nice.. the violet gobie's in that article are mine. At least the ones with the sand substrate. Pufferpunk used my pics for that article. I was never able to find the article untill now, thanks for posting it up.

BTW.. I feed mine Wardley Shrimp pellets as a staple (these are made for cory cats and will break up into fine pieces when they get soggy) and algae waefers. On occasion I will give them some raw shrimp as well, but I break the shrimp up into very fine strands. Keep feeding him and he will plump up.

Here is a comparison pic of one that I had for 2 months and one I just picked up from the LFS, the "new" skinny one plumped up to the size of the bottom one within a month and a half.

DragonGobies.jpg

Most reactions

Back