The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Thank you :) genetically modified the same way as Parambassis (Chanda) ranga did ?

That article has some good info on them! But not what I really need at the moment haha!
How about pics ?

How long do you keep him ?

Does he smim this way ?

Last edited:
Seems Glofishes have many swimming disorders !
Just googled "glofish swims weirdly" and results are a bit scaring...

How about pics ?

How long do you keep him ?

Does he smim this way ?
I posted links to videos above! Please check them out
Seems Glofishes have many swimming disorders !
Just googled "glofish swims weirdly" and results are a bit scaring...
Any chance you could slightly elaborate ? I honestly cannot find any info on exactly what my tetra is doing specificallyā€¦ Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m just hoping anything could help :(

Well, I watched video in post #1, saw the 2 pics in post #13, but no wholly pictures of your tank as asked above. I could slightly elaborate if you could answer/post what I asked for. Please check them out.
Or maybe you are confusing it with :
Fish1999 said: No worries. Got help on another forum.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone!! I am new here, Iā€™m hoping someone will be able to help me figure out what is going on with my Glofish Tetra. Having trouble swimming, staying near the surface swimming vertically or with nose pointing up. Overall just swimming strange. Only fish with these symptoms.
About 4 days ago, I noticed 1 of my GloFishTetras swimming very oddly. The fish is swimming on a slant, nose pointing upwards, he appears to be ā€œbouncingā€ around slowly to navigate himself. (If that makes sense) I will add, the fish is still eating, no changes in appearance, and my other 4 GloFish are actually giving this little guy space.

I was able to get a pretty good video on how the GloFish is swimming/bouncing, the link for YouTube is:

Again any thoughts on what this could be, any advice or recommendations are EXTREMELY appreciated!!! If you have any questions or need more info please let me know! I am worried this may be the end for this little guy :(

Thank you all so very much!

***INFO ON MY TANK***

What is the water volume of the tank? 60 G
What is the water volume of the tank? Full
How long has the tank been running? 3 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 70ā€¢C
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
-5 GloFish Tetras
-Common Pleco
-Cory Catfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Multiple conditioners/added benefits.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just ā€œfineā€ or ā€œsafeā€.
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: <25ppm
pH: 6.8

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily, skip one day a week
How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can consume in 3 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval Bug Bites
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Occasionally

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Swimming with nose up, staying near surface and acting strange, bouncing instead of swimming
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Behaviour changed as mentioned. Still willing to eat.

Any info or advice is extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Just wanted to add:
I do not believe it is swim bladder but I canā€™t be certain. The way the fish is swimming, upright/nose pointing up, sort of ā€œbouncingā€ instead of using fins.

Thank you SO much :)
Likely neurological or swim bladder but I'm leaning more neurological. Since you have had the fish for 2 years.

I don't think theres anything you can do that would actually cure it. Just keep up water changes and add some airation.

Likely neurological or swim bladder but I'm leaning more neurological. Since you have had the fish for 2 years.

I don't think theres anything you can do that would actually cure it. Just keep up water changes and add some airation.
That does make sense, thank you. Do you think it will be a slow process losing this little one? Itā€™s quite sad to watch him like this.

Please, please, do not buy those genetically modified fishes as they empty adn will empty your purse by being weakened and sick.

Please, please, do not buy those genetically modified fishes as they empty adn will empty your purse by being weakened and sick.
Thatā€™s not the point here. Iā€™ve had them for years and this is the first and only fish Iā€™ve had trouble with. I understand the genetically modified situation is an issue, Iā€™m aware. But these fish have been absolutely fine and healthy to keep over the years. This the only one that Iā€™ve had issues with. Is there a point where I may consider humane euthanasia ? Is this any life to live for the fish? Is the fish in pain/discomfort ? Really struggling? It makes me sad to watch him like this, itā€™s been going on for so long now. Please advise I greatly appreciate it. It just seems like no end in sight. Iā€™ve continued with water good parameters, water changed, fasting intervals & with the epsom salt baths as well as feeding peas. Nothing is helping, itā€™s very sad. I want to end his suffering if he may be, and since thereā€™s no way to cure this I really donā€™t know what to do. Thanks again

For so long ? How long do you keep them ?
Does he still eat cheerfully ? If yes I see no reason for euthanasia. This decision must be carefully considered, whether you do it yourself or through a veterinarian.
I had to take this decision put an end to one of my goldie Zebulon's suffering after 17 years. This has been the most sad gesture I did. I used clove oil. I never regreted what I did.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back