GloFish breeding

fishboy33

Reaction score
Hey all,

I got a 20 gal tank 4 x-mas. After the system was circulating(2 days)I went to Critters and bought two GloFish. So I get home, and I begin to look them down(they were the only fish in the tank) and I noticed one was fatter than the other. This fat fish, also has a white stomach. GloFish.com doesn't have any info that would help me out. Is my fish pregnent? Can I expect eggs soon? Is it normal?

Thanx :hey:

Wrong forum. These fish are cyprinids, but they should go in the hybrid section because they have been 'modified' so much. :)

Dwarfs said:
Wrong forum. These fish are cyprinids, but they should go in the hybrid section because they have been 'modified' so much. :)
I doubt it should go under hybrid, it hasn't exactly been bred between two completely different species. The only thing that has been done is an injection of a certain type of jellyfish genes, which gives it the glow.

And yeah, i remember GloFish telling people these fish were sterile :/

P.T.

Phantom Thief said:
Dwarfs said:
I doubt it should go under hybrid, it hasn't exactly been bred between two completely different species. The only thing that has been done is an injection of a certain type of jellyfish genes, which gives it the glow.

And yeah, i remember GloFish telling people these fish were sterile :/

P.T.
Yeah but the majority of the danio people hate these things, and they don't want them in the regular cyprinid forum. I've heard the word abomination used to describe these fish, so IMO it would be safer to ask around in the hybrid section.

Put it in the hybrid forum because it's an abomination? Not all people (though I do, for the most part) would agree with that statement.
Anyway, yes, they are sterile, and even if it did have babies, I doubt that they would be "glofish". Just email them (the glofish staff).

I don't think they are abominations but I'd rather avoid a war between the anti glofish people and the people who like glo fish :p I have no problem with these fish IMO, just overly expensive sunburned zebra danios :D
I'll stop on this topic now, it's been answered :)

I think they are sterile so breeding is probably a lost cause :)

Dwarfs said:
I don't think they are abominations but I'd rather avoid a war between the anti glofish people and the people who like glo fish :p
lol! Didn't think of it quite that way. :D I don't think that glofish are an abomination, because all engineering is done while they're still embryos... it's just things like "making" blood parrots that I don't agree with (though I love mine... he was personable! I had to pick him up! :D ).

The GloFish website doesnt have ne thing on them being sterile(i think) :/ Thank you very much for your input. I bought these fish before I knew about the contriversy. They dont even harm the embryos nemore. They did it to the fish few batches.

Thank you for answering

T Sab

they are not sterile, I had 7 fry at one point but they were all eaten, They are bred just like zebra danios only they are slightly less fecund, if you breed them send some to me please, no o0ne in Alaska a can find them

if you breed them send some to me please, no o0ne in Alaska a can find them

Surely thats a good thing, ive yet to see the disgusting little creatures on sale here in England and hopefully never will.

CFC said:
Surely thats a good thing, ive yet to see the disgusting little creatures on sale here in England and hopefully never will.
hmmm

This forum is for the discussion of hybrids and their care, flaming and bashing of hybrids or their keepers will not be tolerated and all such posts/threads will be deleted immiedietly. All posts concerning hybrid species should be posted here and in no other forums.

since the topic was moved to hybrid forums im guessing they are one?

DD

glowfish are sterile, they are very cool but they cant be bred, i watched a show an dthe people who create them take the eggs and do watever to them to make them glow and then they put em throgh light radiation to keep them from breeding with natural stock

They did that with early glowing fish but glofish can have fry, I have had them, there are people who have kept just glofish in a tank and had fry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back