GLo-Fish

Do you guys agree with the Making of glowing zebras?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Its cruel

• There cool looking so it doesnt matter

• Total voters
slamster17 said:
aren't there natural glow danios??
nope...i dont think they are...that would be pretty silly...considering predators would see them easily...i dont agree with them at all.

I do believe they were bred to be a indicator of certain pollutants in water. So I have no objection to them.

They were originially injected as eggs with the gene but now most if not all of the glo-fish are bred with the gene, not injected. It's not cruel either and it doesn't shorten their life span, or make them sicker or any of the other propaganda claims against them you often hear.

Check out the new issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist for some very good info on glofish. It's not cruel, there are no needles involved to make them glow. Their genetic makeup has been altered to make them be able to have the "glow" and this trait is passed on to the next generation, so on, just like regular fish. They can and will interbreed with regular zebra danios, just as the leopard danios and long fin danios can and will (actually, they're all the same fish).

What people seem to be having problems with is whether these fish should even have been created at all. Folks, it's too late for this debate. The fish are already here. They are probably at your LFS. If you disagree with their being there, don't buy them. If there is no demand for the fish, the people who have invested their money into the breeding of this fish will get no return on their investment. The old law of supply and demand. They will eventually take their money elsewhere.

What I find to be more of a problem is that they have "patented" a life form. You can buy as many of these fish as you want, and when you get them home, if conditions are suitable, they will breed. You, however, are prohibited from selling these fish, because they have a patent on them. Just like copying a music CD or a DVD, if you copy it (or breed the fish) for your own personal enjoyment, that's legal. You can have as many baby glowfish, or copies of "Scary Movie" as you want. Try to sell that copy, though, and you're breaking copyright law. :S

I Just Bought one for 6.00
they had all this info on them and i couldnt resist

Its cool because if u let them "charge" up by natural light all day, and then put a black light over them They appear as if there glowing. It works best if you have white rocks becuase eveything seems to reflect better

If you guys still think its cruel go to www.glofish.com and find out for urself how cool these little fish are

I hear they might even start glowing other fish.... maybe puffers?!?!? :D

it not that bad. Its not like dying them. I wouldnt like it though if all fish glowed. I think they should stop making them glow though because after a while theyll be unwanted.

Making them glow for research is cool, but I dunno if I agree with stores selling them. Its just another way for rich folk to get richer. And the whole copywrite thing bugs me.

DevilsAdvocate said:
slamster17 said:
aren't there natural glow danios??
nope...i dont think they are...that would be pretty silly...considering predators would see them easily...i dont agree with them at all.
You are proberbly thinking of a glowlight danio (Brachydanio choprae)
this is a naturaly occuring fish and is often confused with glo-fish.

check out my website
My Webpage

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back