Giant Gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

They Do rehome? Ha yeah right. Oscars aint that big. I'm talking about BIGGER ones that can reach 3 to 5 feet long, they are put down. You said lots of people do have spaces but then its just country because you lived on the farm...so I'm not surprised. Pacus, catfish, sharks are forced to be destory because they had hard time to be rehome. Look at homeless dogs and cats and horses too, they are put down too if they don't rehome due to overpopulation of homeless pets and tankbusters. So just don't be stump that like to argue with us.. key is learning from me and you might understand me what I'm talking about. Duh!

Notsosimplefate, I think you need to let your sharks go back to the pet store because then you can avoid nasty cost, nasty space and lower their life quality. Check out the other catfish forum and read in the pinned forum. No one wanted them and no one sucessfully have their shark reached their full size in aquarium. Plus your shark will be unhappy in future and I know you don't want them be unhappy but then you are lower their life. I will bet your sharks will die before a year later. Your parents will not get 1500gal tank for them since it will take all of space in the half of your house. And lots of public aquarium used to take tankbusters (mostly pacu and catfish species) in but not anymore thanks to snakeheads....I have no problems with your other fish. I though you had a giant gourami but it turn out its just banded gourami. Its not easy for you if you keeping the sharks in future and it will destory your future eventually by just suck out your money and space. Its hard work to take care of 5-6 foot long catfish. You don't know the tankbuster's fate when they are purchased at your local fish shop. I know I had to destory my own tankbusters few times since its almost impossible relocate them in my area or other areas near me. So don't smart mouthing at me because I love my fishes and do rightfully thing for them.

you think oscars are big?! you havent seen a damn thing yet man. oscars are nothing compared to a proper osphronemus. i doubt any stores will take in a fully grown osphronemus

Okay Butch, for one thing, I dont live on a farm. And Im far from the country. I wish.. but yeah right. Second, if my shark isnt going to get bigger because I stunted its growth, why should I get rid of it? I know it wont live to its full potential, but chances are those sharks end up in little kids' tanks and die. And I know my parents wont get me a 1500 gallon tank, because I wont be asking for one. Im not planning on living with them forever and there is no way I am moving a tank that big. Anddd, Keeping fish are a hobby, not my life. Horses are my life, so Im not going to be spending my limited funding on a massive tank, although I will be getting a BIGGER tank than the one I currently own. So atleast theyll be happier than ending up with someone more irresponsible.

ALSO, I did not start mouthing at YOU. YOU mouthed at ME.
Aaaand, not to call you out or anything, but I just thought you should know that the plural of fish is 'fish.'

(P.S. Horses rehome much easier than just about every other mammal, including children. Because horse lovers feel bad when they come across a neglected horse. When you find a free horse, its gone faster than free money.)

And Jasonskillz, I know theyre not the biggest fish, but for now it was the first example that came to mind.

Wow i just read this thread and it's really intersting what you have in your tank. You got alot of response about your sharks and I too agree that they need to be in a bigger tank since I just read that they can grow more than 20" in captivity but larger in the wild!! Eye popping isn't it. Those sharks, or should i say catfish are in a small tank and it isn't because they grow slow but are probably stunt due to the space. 2 years should be plenty of time for them to grow many inches if given good water condition and everything else.

Well it seems people have been giving you good advice in your situation and I know how you feel when some people talk down to you like that, but we've all been there :rolleyes: .

Remember if you are going to get a new tank that you should CYCLE it before you add any of the fishes in there if you don't know this already. Also maybe you should do a little research on the fishes you are interested in before you go purchase them.

The best thing to do, is to ignore the people who respond rudely, and pay attention to the people who have some respect for you and that are trying to help you, not put you down.
Responding back to the rude people just eggs them on.
People have no place to be ignorant in here and have no place to be calling anyone names. People come here for HELP, not to be called poor fish keepers and "stumps"

I owned horses too but they aint come from adoption. Just don't get sharks next time or any tankbusters. Or if you see an interesting fish at pet shop, please posting us before buy the fish and see if the fishes are suitable for your tank. Your sharks don't love you anymore......that's so sad.

I have had good and bad advice all my life and you need to learn to live with it.

The truth is Tokis was right and the truth hurts.

You are a responsible citizen and are there for your own actions.

You can take and leave advice as you need.

I remember lots of advice when my children were babies if I had listened and not filtered that through and changed some of my ideas i would have had dreadful consequences.

Love my fishes is also spot on this is a great forum and remember you too one day will say hey I had these sharks and you may even have them long enough to see damage they do and say well the nightmare was unimaginable.

Losing anything hurts even a fish and I empathise over your gouramis but take stock and learn from this.

I do feel that you have so many it does feel you are overstocked but hey it would terify me and your coping . Great

Just please take the sharks back to the pet shop and let the fate take them to anywhere and get smaller species nontank busting ones only. If you keep it up and you will found you have problem with huge sharks if they moved to your big new tank. You're being not fair to the sharks. Don't egg me back and ill egging you back, no matter what's your excuses. Lots of people agree that sharks shouldn't be in your tank. I'm sorry but its harsh way for you.

While I appreciate that there is a risk to the sharks if you take them back to the shop, there is also a chance of better lodgings, and most importantly you are sending a message to the shop. The more trouble they get from selling tankbusters without making proper enquiries of their customers, the less they will feel like doing so again. If people stop buying the sharks, or taking them back when they find out about them, then hopefully the shop will get the message and contact the supplier. There does seem to be a fair bit of stress going on in your tank, which is not a good sign.

Your sharks don't love you anymore......that's so sad.
:huh:
Erm...
Where did that come from? And why?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry cant help it...that was pretty funny

Notsosimplefate, i just hope you get a bigger tank and soon! 40 gals is really small, you could at least get a 100 gal or something. if you got money for horses, you got enough money for fish man.

Yeah I know I'm funny one. 100 gal would be nice for almost all for notsosimplefate's fishes, expect the sharks. I've spoken to all shark owners (I meant ex-owners) that they never had sucess with the sharks because they were too easily spooked and the sharks always have scars from freaking out. The ex-owners keeping upgraded their tank but the sharks always outgrow it. They are worst animal to be freaking out than the horses! Imaging huge fish jumping out ot your tank and hit your head, now that's so funny but hurt lots! Many people would say that you cannot kept your shark that way. I rather take them back to the store where they come from. Plus the sharks rarely get stunted no matter what size of tank they in. Notsosimplefate, would you keeping your horse in small pen so he can't roaming freely? Now you know how the sharks feels. I would never kept my horses in very small pen expect only when they're sick or vet and farrier etc. You can take the sharks back to pet shop when they're still under 5inch long and do rightfully thing for the sharks even if they end in someone's tank. There's lots of interesting species that's don't get bigger than oscars, stumpy. Just don't get attract to the sharks, they are terrible at being pets. When they get bigger.....and all of your fish are on their menu....gourami sandwich, grilled barb, killifish on a stick and hot dojo...I know you like your banded gourami but don't you want him to be eaten by sharks?

Allright Jasonskillz, you obviously have never had horses before. Here is the breakdown of costs per month.
Board: 325/month per horse x 3
Vet: 250 minimum/ every 6 months plus emergencies
Farrier: 35/ every 6 weeks x 3

Considering right now I am working on moving 2 hours away, money is a bit of an issue considering my lack of employment.

I would take them back, but it would do nothing. They always have sharks there, always the same kinds, every week when they get shipments in. So all it would mean to them is an extra shark they could sell.

And butch, so you know. My horses are stalled daily and are still happy. They dont stay out in a big pasture all day because thats how they get picked on by the other horses, and get attacked by bugs and what not. So that was a bad comparison. And would you stop with the bad sense of humor. It isnt funny.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back