Giant Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I probably can't fit five in, but he used to get along fine when there were two others. I will try three, but if it doesnt work then I will get more.

I will hopefully be getting a larger tank soon.

It is all a matter of convincing my parents that I need it now and not later.

It is just a matter of finding out where to put it. lol.

But thanks for the advice. It will hopefully work out well.

But first things first, I will be searching the house for my testing kit, and doing a bit of redecorating in the tank.

well good luck

don't give up on the forum just yet people here are really helpful

some people just seem to get a bit peeved when people ignore their advice or try to tell them they are wrong (i.e the eggs cant be from your sharks ... which is true those eggs couldn't have been from your shark but thats ok its all part of learning ;) )

and yes people shouldn't be rude and learn to have a bit more patience with others but we are all human :) some people just seem to have more patience and people skills than others :)

Tokis-Phoenix is a great source of knowledge and always a big help so it is always good to heed her advice :nod:

Sorry it got a little nasty for your first experince on the forum :no: but I assure you there are so many people here that are very supportive, full of knowledge and experience and that are happy to help you out

Well spoken, I love my fishies! We really are here to help.

Good luck about getting a big tank for your tankbusters. I would try to explain to your parents that it can't be a question of waiting until they look like too big for their tank; their growth stunting and consequent health risks will have started long before then. They may not be aware that fish give off chemicals in the water which will inhibit their growth if there is not enough water. Also, as you have probably noticed, irridescent sharks are very active and need a lot of swimming space. To provide a good home for them, most people would say you need a 6 foot tank.

I would also think through the general gourami situation. If I have understood this rightly, once the giant is removed, that still leaves you with a blue gourami, a pearl gourami and a paradise fish, which is a close relative of the gouramis. The problem is gouramis and paradise fish are extremely territorial; their natural behaviour is to establish a territory and not let any other gourami/similar in. Now given the footprint of the tank, there isn't really room for more than one gourami territory, which may be one reason you are having stress related problems. Breaking down the sight line with plants as suggested by another forum member is an excellent idea, but I still it's going to be extremely difficult to maintain those three gouramis in the same tank.

About the tiger barbs, though one is not ideal, it may actually be safer than having 2 or 3. They are not territorial but hierarchical, so it's extremely important for them to know who is top dog in the shoal. To them, keeping together in a school and making sure everybody knows who the leader is spells safety. They do this by constant bickering. This is ok if you have a fair sized group (6-8 minimum) as the top dog will chastise the others in turn, but if you have only 2 or 3, then the same poor underdog will get it in the neck all the time, and may well die from stress (that may well have been what happened to the one you had that died). The only risk with having a single specimen is that he may feel so strongly impelled to prove himself (and so stressed without the presence of his mates) that he starts attacking totally unrelated fish. What most people find is that the way to keep tiger barbs is in a long tank (to give them room for bickering), in large groups and not together with fish that like peace and quiet (like pearl gouramis).

So you see why you get aggression problems with both gouramis and tiger barbs- both explained from natural behaviour, though totally different types of behaviour.

There are no way that the eggs come from sharks, but might come from pleco or snails or other fishes that you don't know what kind. I doubt that your parents will get another bigger fish tank for huge fishes. The sharks can get 5 feet long and they are very actively swimmer so you need HUGE one. Plus something's wrong with your honey gourami, its fins don't look right. Paradise fish are very hostile towards to their relatives.

You need get 3 or 6 tiger barbs of same size of your barb. Trade paradise fish and dojo to get some smaller species or peaceful ones. For sharks and giant gourami......flush them down into toilet or its fish fry dinner! Lol but seriously you cannot keep them in your cramped tank. There's lots of interesting smaller species there than these two tankbusters... Where's your water come from?

Again at last my stump understand what I saying, not you, rookie.

Thank you Dwarfgourami, and I love my fishies.

I have the money for a larger tank, it is all a matter of convincing them there is space in the house(which there is, but my mom is odd. lol)

There may have been snails in my tank, I cant remember. But remember, when I got the shark it was only my 2nd month or so having fish, so I wouldnt know. But when you try to make me feel like an idiot, I get defensive.

I read an article on here about the different gouramis, and then compared it to my "giant".

When I had gotten him, he looked nothing like the one I had before, and after reading this article I realised that he is a banded gourami.

But when I got him, his label said he was a giant. Allthough I wondered why he was so colorful, I didnt question it because he was gorgeous, and it didnt matter much to me.

So now I know he wont be getting 28".

I am lucky with the barb, because he may nip at the other fish on occasion, he doesnt do it very often, he usually just swims about.

The paradise fish seems to have set up his territory, but doesnt mind sharing it. At the moment anyway. He and the blue gourami with swim side by side almost without complaint.

And the blue seems to have taken a liking to the pearl, which I sepperated from the rest of the tank since the banded wouldnt stay in the trap, but she is smaller and doesnt mind as much. And she was the one terrorizing him.

Today he started to come out of hiding, and seems to be learning to avoid the blue, which is what my other giant had to do and after a week he ignored her and they were fine.

Today I will be going out to check fish tanks and see what I can convince my parents into letting me get.

I DONT have a honey gourami, so I dont know what you are talking about.

Also, you dont have to repeat what everyone else says. I get it. Im not dumb.

And last, you might as well stop posting in this topic, because A: I am not learning anything from you. B: You have a nasty sense of humor, and I am done talking to you.

Have you gotten a pic of the 'giant' gourami?

Both colisa fasciata and the osphromenus (sp) ssps are often labelled as Giants so you may be on the right path but a picture would help others confirm this.

On a side note to DwarfGourami, i think that paradise fish while not often labelled as such can technically be classed as a Gourami, this is in no way a snide aside just what i found an interesting 'fact'.

Concerning your stocking i would agree that gourami related trouble is highly likely, sorry i've haven't had time to read all comments thus far hence how long have you had all the Gourami in the same tank?

On a side note to DwarfGourami, i think that paradise fish while not often labelled as such can technically be classed as a Gourami, this is in no way a snide aside just what i found an interesting 'fact'.

Yes, they both belong to the Belontiidae family, that's what I was trying to put across without becoming too technical.

Still your parents won't let you have huge tank for the sharks since they can reach 52 inches long and they required 1500 gals of tank for single shark and they are schooling catfish which required more bigger tank than 1500 gals. I thought the "honey" gourami are actually your banded gourami......oopies.

Many tankbusters are put down because of its sizeness. Oops.....I don't read all of your forums oh well I'm still posting it.

i was reading this and you said you had a 40 gal tank with a giant gourami...as i kept reading i was getting ready to smack you on the back of the head until my hand bled. but luck you had mistaken the species of your fish :lol:

i still dont recommend having that many fish in such a small tank even though its an osphronemus.

im not sure how to help you on sickness since my fish have never gotten sick b4 even though a lot of plecos died on me from high nitrates :sad:. the best thing i can recommend is that you a get UV even though it will cost quite a bit. my moto for treating sickness is to avoid sickness altogether :lol:

just change water more often, i do almost 50% every 2 weeks even though many would disagree with me on that

There are no way that the eggs come from sharks, but might come from pleco or snails or other fishes that you don't know what kind. I doubt that your parents will get another bigger fish tank for huge fishes. The sharks can get 5 feet long and they are very actively swimmer so you need HUGE one. Plus something's wrong with your honey gourami, its fins don't look right. Paradise fish are very hostile towards to their relatives.

You need get 3 or 6 tiger barbs of same size of your barb. Trade paradise fish and dojo to get some smaller species or peaceful ones. For sharks and giant gourami......flush them down into toilet or its fish fry dinner! Lol but seriously you cannot keep them in your cramped tank. There's lots of interesting smaller species there than these two tankbusters... Where's your water come from?

Again at last my stump understand what I saying, not you, rookie.

It is a terrible terrible death for a fish being flushed down the toilet death is not instant and is very horrific for them simply take you fish in to the pet store and they will resell them it is alot nicer to rehome your fish (if that is what you decide to do with any of your fish) than to kill them.

Thank you Dwarfgourami, and I love my fishies.

I have the money for a larger tank, it is all a matter of convincing them there is space in the house(which there is, but my mom is odd. lol)

There may have been snails in my tank, I cant remember. But remember, when I got the shark it was only my 2nd month or so having fish, so I wouldnt know. But when you try to make me feel like an idiot, I get defensive.

I read an article on here about the different gouramis, and then compared it to my "giant".

When I had gotten him, he looked nothing like the one I had before, and after reading this article I realised that he is a banded gourami.

But when I got him, his label said he was a giant. Allthough I wondered why he was so colorful, I didnt question it because he was gorgeous, and it didnt matter much to me.

So now I know he wont be getting 28".

I am lucky with the barb, because he may nip at the other fish on occasion, he doesnt do it very often, he usually just swims about.

The paradise fish seems to have set up his territory, but doesnt mind sharing it. At the moment anyway. He and the blue gourami with swim side by side almost without complaint.

And the blue seems to have taken a liking to the pearl, which I sepperated from the rest of the tank since the banded wouldnt stay in the trap, but she is smaller and doesnt mind as much. And she was the one terrorizing him.

Today he started to come out of hiding, and seems to be learning to avoid the blue, which is what my other giant had to do and after a week he ignored her and they were fine.

Today I will be going out to check fish tanks and see what I can convince my parents into letting me get.

I DONT have a honey gourami, so I dont know what you are talking about.

Also, you dont have to repeat what everyone else says. I get it. Im not dumb.

And last, you might as well stop posting in this topic, because A: I am not learning anything from you. B: You have a nasty sense of humor, and I am done talking to you.

Yes I would have to agree with DwarfGourami on that one best just keep your single barb in there until you get a bigger tank coz 3 barbs can cause a bit of trouble and commotion in your tank.

But as soon as you con your mum into getting a bigger tank (as you know the sooner the better) make sure you get some more Barbs so you have a minimum of 6 and he will be a very happy little guy :)

Good luck with convincing your mum :good:

When I looked up my paradise fish soon after I had gotten him(or her, still trying to figure it out) It said that they are similar to gouramis, and may fight to the death if two males are put together.

So I have been keeping a close eye out to make sure it doesnt start fighting with my gouramis.

So I pretty much have them convinced that I need a bigger tank, not just want one.

But. There is bad news.

The money I had for the new tank I cant use for it any more. One of my horses has come down with a cough and I am worried since he is still young. So I will have to use my money for his vet bill.

But, within the next 2-3 weeks, I should be able to afford the tank. Hopefully.

DSCF2229.jpg

There he is. The white spot I told you all about is going away, and today is the first day he swam out in the open. I think it has something to do with only feeding once a day because the blue has stopped bugging him. If he is confident tomorrow and is swimming about, I will be putting the pearl back in. And I plan on removing 3 of my tetras, they are rather large and tend to stress everyone else out. So hopefully everyone will be happy until I get the funding for the new tank.

I'm sorry if its harsh way for flush fish in toilet but lots of tankbusters have trouble find a new home and many of them had to put down due to its giant size. You don't see lots of them on sale at local pet store, only few tankbusters are rehome. Our public aquariums will not take them in. The sharks rarely reach their full size in aquarium life due to problems with its size, food, tank, healths and stress. I seen the sharks has scars from bonking the glass and often become blind. The pet shop workers will tell you that they can rehome them which in reality, some of them won't do it, they will just freeze the tankbusters to painless death. And all of tankbusters are released in our waters that's not native for them cause problems with the native species and the balance of nature as well as fishing. That's why I avoid the young of tankbuster species because if I can't afford the space, this will be happen to the tankbuster's fate.

That's a handsome banded gourami you've got there, Notsosimple. Definitely fasciata and not osphromenus. It's the curse of the common name. In my neck of the woods, this fish is sold as an Indian gourami. I've got one too. They tend to be more timid than the blue gourami, so make sure he gets enough food, you may want to break food up and spread over the surface.

Butch, if you search the forum for euthanising, you will find several humane ways, of which flushing is not one. I realise you probably meant it figuratively, but somebody might take your word for it, and it is a particularly cruel method.

Just so you know, the pet stores near me, take in the big guys. And the DO get rehomed.

Around me lots of people have the space.

I saw three fully grown oscar's there recently, and I was there when they were purchased.

Yeah, he is deffinately a looker.

I will try to get clearer pictures soon, especially since he isnt so afraid to swim about.

Now instead of feeding two times a day of the crisps, I feed them in the morning with them, and at night I throw in a couple shrimp pellets, so they have to find them, instead of just having it given to them.

So hopefully tomorrow, I will be able to throw the pearl back in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back