Ghost Knife Fish

Dave

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I feed my fish usually once a day. There typical diet is a sprinkle of flakes, a pinch of catfish pellets, and a slice of prawn (for Puffers). Every other day they get a portion of frozen blood worm and thats it. My fish seem to do ok on this diet and the water seems to remain balanced.

So now I have a ghost knife fish (who I never see). I know they need a varied diet, but he doesn't come out of his hiding hole when its feeding time. Ive thought about giving another feeding time after lights out, but im worried about polluting the water. Im also worried the knife fish is not getting enough food.

From what I've read on the Ghost Knife they are a peaceful nocturnal fish who seem to prefer bloodworms or blackworms as their fav food. I would recomend a small chunk of frozen bloodworm about 10 mins after lights out . Whatever the knife doesn't eat I'm sure your catfish will gobble up (assuming you are putting in the pellets for a catfish). You shouldn't have to worry about clouding up the tank, the bloodworms are always the first thing eaten in all our tanks whenever it's included in feeding time.

Tanked,

my Tank is 48x18x21" so Hopefully this is big enough, the missus wouldn't let me get a bigger one NO WAY! :( Any way hes only about 3" now so I think itll be a while untill hes 18". Depending on how he eats I suppose.

Pufferpack,

When you say a chunk of frozen bloodworm, does this mean you put the bloodworm in frozen? I didnt know I could do that. I always defrost mine next to the Light. B)

You can just chuck the whole cube in if you like although i find that if you do this one or two fish get to hog the whole cube to themselves,i would defrost the cube before adding it so that it disperses over a larger area and gives your BGK a chance to get some food,i would also suggest switching the lights off an hour before feeding so that the fish will already be active when you feed.

just my 2 cents from exp.
the bgk can grow to close to 2 ft mine unfortunately died due to stunting,mind you it spent the majority of it's life in a 90g 48x18x24 i had it for like 3 or 4 yrs and stopped growing at or about 8"s(not good)also they have HUGE mouths and will not hesitate to eat any small fish that gets close enuff.

oh as far as feeding,once they get used to their surrounding they will usually come out at feeding time.food-mine pretty much ate anything i dropped in the tank like shrimp pellets,bloodworms(mine loved that)cocktail shrimp,cichlid pellets and brine shrimp.

Hi Dave

As CFC says you can throw it in whole, but usually one fish hogs it all. What I like to do is put 1/4 to 1/2 of the cube in a shot glass, fill glass with tank water and wait 2 or 3 minutes then pour into the tank. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back