Getting Fish To Eat

Assaye

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Jun 24, 2009
Messages
2,061
Reaction score
6
Points
38
Location
York, UK
Neither my RTBS or my new betta will eat. I've tried them on flakes, pellets, sinking pellets, frozen ex-live food . . . they pick at it at best and just ignore it most of the time.

I'm thinking live food . . . what is most suitable for them? I know the RTBS will chase and kill (and nibble on) anything that enters his tank, but that was with his old owner. Not sure if he feels settled enough to 'defend' his tank with lethal force yet. Also not sure if he would go for anything smaller than a little fish. He ignored the snails completely. What would be good to try?

The new betta has just started to flare and seems ready to 'investigate' things that move in his tank. I'm pretty sure he would investigate live food but that last thing I want to do is get something living, introduce it to the tank only for it to be ignored.

Ideas needed!
 
in my tanks

i switch of the filters and then drop the food in right infront of them, after awhile they come to the surface they kind of realise; filters off, foods up!!!

you could try live food mate! if you are not too keen to try it yet, soak the food (pellets) in garlic ;)
 
how long have you had your betta for...they are notorious for going thru a "sulk" period after you get them...often they wont eat for days and days...just keep offering food. he'll eat when he's hungry and settled in.
 
When my puffer fish wouldn't eat I dangled a frozen prawn on some thread and kept it moving.

Great idea!

Will also try soaking stuff on garlic juice. How do I got about making 'garlic juice'? Just crush up some garlic and add water?

Orion (the betta) has only been with us since Friday. The RTBS has been with us since Tuesday.
 
yh the betta will be fine just put a lil food in the tank and if he dont eat it remove and eventualy he will get hungry and what have you been trying to feed him
 
what have you been trying to feed him

Sinking pellets, tropical fish flake food, regular tropical fish pellets, bloodworms. Have some other frozen food but it doesn't seem to be the taste. Neither fish even notices it go into the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top