Getting bacteria onto sponge of sponge filter only?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nymm1t

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning to have some form of filter with bacteria already on it for my future quarantine tank. I have a HOB filter and a betta sponge filter in my tank. I would like to replace the sponge filter with a regular air stone, remove the sponge from the sponge filter (it's pretty small), and place just the sponge into my BOH filter somewhere. Then when the time comes (after a week or two), I can take the sponge out of my running filter, put it onto the sponge filter, and use that in my quarantine tank. What do you guys think? Will the small sponge alone be enough to cycle through like a 2-3 gallon tank? Or does the filter also usually house bacteria?

You can help boost and maybe expedite the process by adding any of the "bacteria in a bottle" products out there. I personally used seachem stability and since it worked so well for me I stick by it, can't recommend or speak about any other as I have not used any but you'll find plenty of comments about them in the boards. Good luck!

Hey all,

I'm planning to have some form of filter with bacteria already on it for my future quarantine tank. I have a HOB filter and a betta sponge filter in my tank. I would like to replace the sponge filter with a regular air stone, remove the sponge from the sponge filter (it's pretty small), and place just the sponge into my BOH filter somewhere. Then when the time comes (after a week or two), I can take the sponge out of my running filter, put it onto the sponge filter, and use that in my quarantine tank. What do you guys think? Will the small sponge alone be enough to cycle through like a 2-3 gallon tank? Or does the filter also usually house bacteria?

Yes, it definitely can work since the bacteria stays in the filter media.

Actually you don't need to take out the piece of sponge and put it into your HOB.
Just use it as sponge filter in your current tank.
The sponge filter works as a filter and also like an air stone since it will be pushing air into your water. It serves two purposes.

However, the actual amount of bacteria living in the sponge will also depend on your current tank bio-load. The more fish you have in your current, the more ammonia they produce which feed the bacteria in the sponge.

Btw, 2-3 gallons tank is very small. It's hard to keep any fish in it.

Last edited:
You can help boost and maybe expedite the process by adding any of the "bacteria in a bottle" products out there. I personally used seachem stability and since it worked so well for me I stick by it, can't recommend or speak about any other as I have not used any but you'll find plenty of comments about them in the boards. Good luck!
Hey all,

The filter media houses your bacteria. I do this and works fine. Placing the seeded sponge in with the media of your new filter is fine, I also squeeze some of the "dirt" of the established media on to the new one. I wouldn't bother with the "bacteria in a bottle" thing.

Yes, it definitely can work since the bacteria stays in the filter media.

Actually you don't need to take out the piece of sponge and put it into your HOB.
Just use it as sponge filter in your current tank.
The sponge filter works as a filter and also like an air stone since it will be pushing air into your water. It serves two purposes.

However, the actual amount of bacteria living in the sponge will also depend on your current tank bio-load. The more fish you have in your current, the more ammonia they produce which feed the bacteria in the sponge.

Btw, 2-3 gallons tank is very small. It's hard to keep any fish in it.

Thank you. I wanted to change to an air stone cause the bubbles have gotten big and loud. As for the small tank, is that too small for even a quarantine? Maybe housing 2-3 small fish, like guppies or cory cats for a week or two?

Noisy bubbles. Ah, I know that feeling. My tank room is a spare bedroom right next to my own bedroom and the noise does tend to penetrate my sleep.
I too have a small tank of 28 ltrs with a few rasboras in it that has a sponge filter blowing bubbles. The thing is, that a small tank doesn't need quite the same airflow as a large tank. I overcame the problem by clamping the airline to restrict the airflow to a more reasonable level. As long as there is still a small stream of bubbles the beneficial bacteria is being attended to, and of course the fish will be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back