Getting a bigger tank!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scott Jones

Reaction score
I currently have a fluval spec aquarium (5gallons), the plastic frame around the bottom has started to crack slightly and this is causing the tank to be slightly lower on one side so time to upgrade before it gets worse or breaks! I obviously need to move the fish out asap into a new tank. I will be getting a new 20G tank this weekend and wondered what the fastest way to move everything over will be? I have read about moving the old tank water and biological media into the new but this will only make up around 20% of the new tanks volume. Will this be enough to make sure the water is safe for my fish? I will also be moving the plants and rocks over as well not sure if this will have any beneficial effect?
If the old tank wasent breaking I would cycle the new tank and move over when ready but that is not really an option.
What is the best way to make the move quickly but also safe for the fish?
Thank you for reading and any advice will be appreciated!

Hi! Set the new tank up and then move the filter over. Let it run for a few hours. There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water itself. It your tap water matches the tank water then no need to transfer the water. Just move over the filter, substrate, decor, and heater. Use Prime to dechlorinated the water and protect the fish while the bacteria catches up in the larger tank. Test your water daily and if you get ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spikes then do a large water change with Prime. Normally my tanks are cycled in a day or 2 after moving the filter over. Good luck and have fun with that new tank!

Hi! Set the new tank up and then move the filter over. Let it run for a few hours. There is very little beneficial bacteria in the water itself. It your tap water matches the tank water then no need to transfer the water. Just move over the filter, substrate, decor, and heater. Use Prime to dechlorinated the water and protect the fish while the bacteria catches up in the larger tank. Test your water daily and if you get ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spikes then do a large water change with Prime. Normally my tanks are cycled in a day or 2 after moving the filter over. Good luck and have fun with that new tank!
Thank you for the advice! only issue I have with moving the filter over is that in the old tank (fluval spec) the filter is built in to the side of the tank so it cant really be moved over. I can move over the media and maybe even cut the sponges to fit the new filter but it cant be taken out.

Moving over the media and sponges will work. Even if they won’t all fit in the new filter, lay them in the bottom of the tank. The bacteria will grow. Try putting what you can in the filter though,

Moving over the media and sponges will work. Even if they won’t all fit in the new filter, lay them in the bottom of the tank. The bacteria will grow. Try putting what you can in the filter though,
Brilliant, thank you for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back