Geophagus Tapajos 'orangehead'

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The temperament of the fish in this tank is fairly peaceful with occasional posturing and squabbles, no damage is ever done. Conspecific temperament is mildly aggressive. Obviously when these cichlids are breeding the aggression is higher with them not allowing any fish near eggs or fry, in this case it is important that the tank be large enough that the other fish can keep their distance. South americans come from acidic water and this should be reflected in the tank if possible. A high ph is a no no. I keep a green phantom plec, various corydoras, fully grown rummy nose tetras and hatchet fish as tankmates.

Very striking fish, chiclids are the fish that I know least about although I keep angels and a jd, can i ask what is there temperment with fish of similar size. SA South American, do they need a high ph like lake malawi? and what make suitable tank mates? :rolleyes:

Thought I would upload some more pics of the growing fry and document their growth weekly on this thread from now on.

fry6.jpg

fry7.jpg

fry5.jpg

The fry are just over 2 weeks old at about 1 cm long. Being fed on pure baby brine shrimp so far although Im starting to offer crushed flake, they try to eat the flake then spit out. Water changes 75% a day. I want to get them off bbs asap as its a pain to produce. Cant wait for them to grow and mature :good:

Oh wow, fascinating times. The parents and alpha male are simple majestic. Have you concidered entering them in fish of the month? They'd sure get my vote!

I'm curious where your located, i'd love some red head tapajo's!

Oh wow, fascinating times. The parents and alpha male are simple majestic. Have you concidered entering them in fish of the month? They'd sure get my vote!

I'm curious where your located, i'd love some red head tapajo's!

Thanks for the kind post mate. I may enter the big male into fish of the month at some point, when I get a pic that does him justice.

Im located in hertfordshire, and yes, most of these fry will be for sale in a few months once they are big enough and eating dry foods.

week 3 fry growth update! The youngsters are on normal food now, no more bbs which is great. Feeding tetra prima, tetra min, frozen brineshrimp and mussels. They are starting to look and behave more like grown up fish, already eating from my hand.

Just 2 pics this week
fry8.jpg

fry9.jpg

Awesome, looking great, I wonder if they spawned on the heater as its slightly warmer and the parents knew that, doubt they would have survived if they spawned on the glass part, but thats awesome.

Is there any chance of you selling these? If so would you consider postage? The fry are looking great btw! :)

Wow those are some really pretty fish! I have been thinking to make my tank a few schools of fish. Its 180 gallons. Would blue rams fit in with these guys? thanks! Great log btw!

Wow those are some really pretty fish! I have been thinking to make my tank a few schools of fish. Its 180 gallons. Would blue rams fit in with these guys? thanks! Great log btw!

I would think that blue rams and this geophagus would be fine together, particually as you have a big tank. The geos are only aggressive with other species of fish when breeding.

wow - those Geo's are stunning!

Sadly, in Australia at least they dont have the kind of following they deserve!

Rf.

1 month update guys. The fry are doing well, its difficult to get a good close up of them as they are always on the move when im near the tank begging for food. They are looking basically the same as week 3 just bigger. Hoping they grow significantly and colour up in the next month or two.

Heres a group shot.

geo3-1.jpg

My RO unit recently failed so Ive been using tap water water for water changes for close to a week. I was worried that the harder water would upset either the fry or the adult orangeheads, fortunatly the fry seem uneffected as do the breeding adults as they have just spawned today.

The alpha male has been courting 2 females at the same time for over a week now and both his females have decided to spawned on the same day.

Pics

female 1 (there are eggs on the rock but hard to see and focus on)

geo2-1.jpg

female 2

geo1-1.jpg

The two sets of eggs are about 25 cm apart. The females are aggressive toward eachother being close together with eggs. The male still courts both females but seems to be with the female with the larger clutch of eggs more..fish aren't dumb.

male with eggs.

geo4-1.jpg

geo8.jpg

geo7-1.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back