Geophagus Tapajos 'orangehead'

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beautiful fish :good:

I'm definitely interested in a few for my 180g when they are ready :)

week 5 update.

Five week old fry.

fry13.jpg

fry14.jpg

Yesterday I swapped out the small gravel for sand in the adults tank. Looks better and the fish seem to enjoy sifting the sand. Not much light going into this tank (55 watts) difficult to get good pics of it.

tank1.jpg

corydoras sterbai enjoying the new sand

cory-2.jpg

Is that the tank they are breeding in? I notice you also have some Angel fish in there. :D
Looks like you wont be short of buyers for your lovely juveniles.

Is that the tank they are breeding in? I notice you also have some Angel fish in there. :D
Looks like you wont be short of buyers for your lovely juveniles.

Yup thats the tank there breeding in, its a 5x2x2. You can see how it would be almost impossible for the parents to protect their fry. Its kinda funny that when I first put them in 4 months ago they were small and getting some aggro from the much larger satanoperca and angelfish. Now, when they are breeding they own the tank. I hope I will be able to sell most of these fry to good ppl on forums like this. Im putting alot of tlc into growing them up with daily water changes and loads of food so they should grow into good quality fish.

Looking really good now :good:

Tanks ChilliPepper.

Congrats again :good: fry are looking great! PM me when your up for selling some ;)

Cheers.

The males colouration is immense!!

I have to agree even though its my fish! This male is one of the best 'orangehead' tapajos I've seen, comparing to other pics I've seen on the net.

Beautiful fish :good:

I'm definitely interested in a few for my 180g when they are ready :)

Tanks again. Im guessing they will be of a decent size at about 3-4 months, there at 5 weeks now.

Heres a few pics of the adults for your viewing pleasure. Pics of the youngsters coming soon.

Pair 1 mouthbrooding. These fry are now safely in a grow tank :good:

geo10.jpg

geo12.jpg

Male from pair 2 mouthbrooding.

geo14.jpg

geo13.jpg

Female from pair 3 mouthbrooding, she dropped the fry minutes after this pic.

geo15.jpg

this whole thread is great! Great pics and great fry!

More fry :eek:, you will be over run :lol:!

How long is it till you can sell / post the youngsters? And have you got any prices in mind yet?

Yup more fry and this time it was a larger spawn + I have from fry from two pairs in this lot (they laid the eggs within 5 days of eachother)

Pricing the fry is difficult as I want to give people a good deal but have to take into account the amount of time/effort(daily 75% water changes), food and electric i've used. Im thinking about £25 for 6 fish once they have reached 4 months old. They are just over 7 weeks old now and close to 1.5 inch, so by 4 months they should be pushing 3 inches and starting to properly colour up. I have never posted fish before so this is something I will have to research. To be honest I could probably post them now they are soo strong. If you wanted some now or sooner send me a pm and we can discuss a reduced price. Posting fish will obviously cost so I have to take this into account also.

this whole thread is great! Great pics and great fry!

Cheers ianho.

Yup more fry and this time it was a larger spawn + I have from fry from two pairs in this lot (they laid the eggs within 5 days of eachother)

Pricing the fry is difficult as I want to give people a good deal but have to take into account the amount of time/effort(daily 75% water changes), food and electric i've used. Im thinking about £25 for 6 fish once they have reached 4 months old. They are just over 7 weeks old now and close to 1.5 inch, so by 4 months they should be pushing 3 inches and starting to properly colour up. I have never posted fish before so this is something I will have to research. To be honest I could probably post them now they are soo strong. If you wanted some now or sooner send me a pm and we can discuss a reduced price. Posting fish will obviously cost so I have to take this into account also.

I'd be interested in some posted when they reach 2". Think they may travel even better than adults. I'd probably take 6 from you, depending on postage etc. Definitely interested though, really want to up my group a.s.a.p :good: Could you PM me when you've decided on a price? :)

Could maybe collect actually - could you PM me your postcode and I'll do a route planner?

At what age do they start showing any colour, I just bought 2 youngsters costing 12 pounds each, they were the last in stock and I'd also like to buy some from you.
The picture might be decieving, they are only one inch long.

Attachments

• DSCN1196.JPG
    DSCN1196.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 99

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back