Geophagus Tapajos 'orangehead'

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

blue acara

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought 8 of these fish 2/3 weeks ago for my 150 gallon SA community tank. Frisky little guys have breathed new life into the tank.

pics

geo5.jpg

geo6.jpg

geo4.jpg

geo7.jpg

Two pairs have spawned already. One pair got the eggs/fry to the mouthbrooding stage. At present the redheads are in a large community tank so the fry have no chance. I will set them up some breeding tanks at some point.

geo.jpg

geo2.jpg

Oohhhhh, i'll have some of these one day. I plan on getting a few for my 180G when i finally get round to getting it. Life just doesnt permit at the minute, but i will do one day. They are beautifull fish. Have you got any more recent photos? I guess they've grown up a little bit by now.

Thanks for the comments guys, heres an update. The Tapajos are eating well, growing fast and two pairs spawn regularly. I was on holiday this weekend, got back today and found that one pair had fry ;). This is the first time they have had freeswimming fry.

Pics:

babies1.jpg

male on left, female right. The pair have darkened in colour quite a lot and the red on their heads seems patchy now they have fry.

babies2.jpg

babies3.jpg

Male fish from the other pair without fry, big colour difference.
babies4.jpg

Cute
babies6.jpg

I was going to say "Fried or Scrambled, Sir?" in response to them laying eggs on the heater but those fry are so cute!

They look like beautiful fish, just from the pictures you feel like they have a bit of personality as well.

lovely fish I;m glad you posted the pics

I plan to have a Geo and plec tank one day with either big pseudas or panaques with them

They're the best photos of fry I've ever seen! :blink:

Heres another update guys. I tried moving a pair of the tapajos to their own tank for breeding but they were not happy in the smallish tank on their own and refused to spawn, so I decided to put them back in the big tank and just syphon the fry out and put in other tank to grow. These fry were released from parents on 28th april, so 1 week free swimming. Doing well so far.

pics of fry

fry.jpg

fry1.jpg

fry2.jpg

pics of parents

tapajos4.jpg

tapajos.jpg

the pair displaying to each other
tapajos1.jpg

male from another pair mouth brooding
tapajos2.jpg

Heres some pics of the other fish in the same tank as the tapajos

satanoperca acuticeps females

acuitecepts.jpg

acuiteceptsjp.jpg

wild angelfish

angel-1.jpg

angel2-1.jpg

One more pic of the largest male. These fish grow fast. Unfortunatly I lost all the pics I took of these fish when I first bought them but they have at least doubled in size in the 3 months I've had them.

tapajos3.jpg

Very striking fish, chiclids are the fish that I know least about although I keep angels and a jd, can i ask what is there temperment with fish of similar size. SA South American, do they need a high ph like lake malawi? and what make suitable tank mates? :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back