Geophagus identity

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I posted a photo a few months back of my geophagus hoping to get an ID , they are starting to colour a bit more now with a red dorsal and yellow belly fins with dashes of green along the face and body so I’m re posting hoping now they can be identified more easily

Attachments

• 2F59C35D-ABC2-471B-89DC-C0505BE4B8C9.jpeg
    2F59C35D-ABC2-471B-89DC-C0505BE4B8C9.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 91
Really annoying how the colour don’t really show on the photo well

You can't identify most Geophagus cichlids until they are mature and have adult colouration. Even then you might need them to start displaying. And having them on a light coloured substrate doesn't help.

You can't identify most Geophagus cichlids until they are mature and have adult colouration. Even then you might need them to start displaying. And having them on a light coloured substrate doesn't help.
It’s really shocking how there colour changes as they get older , iv been looking around online and I’m leaning towards red head or altifrons but they are still fairly plain looking

Maybe a better photo , only geo I have found with the y shape marking like this is a dicrozoster

Attachments

• 1B01978B-F49E-4D96-829F-AE3C05D4AA12.jpeg
    1B01978B-F49E-4D96-829F-AE3C05D4AA12.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 91
They are not red heads, the body shape is really distinctive.

I was thinking Dicrozoster or Abalios so interesting you think Dicrozoster too. Its not Altifrons which is the most common as the spot on the side is too big. I think it will come down to the tail pattern as they get older, it would usually take 2-3 years for them to get into full adult colouration though.

Wills

They are not red heads, the body shape is really distinctive.

I was thinking Dicrozoster or Abalios so interesting you think Dicrozoster too. Its not Altifrons which is the most common as the spot on the side is too big. I think it will come down to the tail pattern as they get older, it would usually take 2-3 years for them to get into full adult colouration though.

Wills
They have bugged me since I have bought them and they change so slow but so nicely

I'd be reasonably confident in Dicrozoster they are one of the species most mis-labeled as Surinamensis. :)

I'd be reasonably confident in Dicrozoster they are one of the species most mis-labeled as Surinamensis. :)
Off my research mate I’m saying the same il have to keep posting as they grow ,well shall see , I hope they turn out really nice

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back