Raccoon Tetras ( Hyphessobrycon procyon ) spawning this afternoon...

Magnum Man30 144

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,607
Reaction score
6,860
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
my male has had the extremely long dorsal, for several months, otherwise, has been very plain... saw him and a female today dancing near the top, his eyes bright blue, and much more colorful... still not as nice as the "GQ model" pictures posted on sellers sites, but I'd say he is coming along, with red fins now, and blue eyes, he's starting to look pretty nice... I'm sure nothing will come of the spawning, them being new to this, and being in a community tank
 
Last edited:
I'm sure nothing will come of the spawning, being new to this, and being in a community tank
Ya never know. Depending on how thickly planted the tank is, what other cover is present, and what the other occupants are, a few fry can survive the gauntlet. I've had characin, 'corydoras' and barb fry suddenly appear. Never very many, but a few made it in community settings.
 
I don't remember what supplier I got them from, but this link was easy...

1755547246185.png
 
I like their tiny teeth in the photo.
 
How are your Raccoon Tetras doing?
I saw a video of an adult group the other day and they were stunning. All kinds of gold and red and a flash of blue on the males.
I really should remember to save those so I can find them again. Old age sucks.
 
I still have a male and 2 females… mine are no where as colorful as a lot of the pictures ( maybe a bigger group, so there are more males would help??? ) however the dorsal extension is “SO” long, it trails beyond the tail…
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top