Gentle Aquarium Lights

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Aroc2226

Reaction score
When I turn on the light to our aquarium the Kuhl Loaches go nuts. Iā€™m afraid they are going to hop right out of the tank.

Iā€™m attempting a well planted aquarium so I need a good grow type light.

Wondering if there is such a thing as a light that takes time to turn on to full intensity. Something a bit more natural.

When I turn on the light to our aquarium the Kuhl Loaches go nuts. Iā€™m afraid they are going to hop right out of the tank.

Iā€™m attempting a well planted aquarium so I need a good grow type light.

Wondering if there is such a thing as a light that takes time to turn on to full intensity. Something a bit more natural.
Yes. I have a hygger HG-957 That lets me set a timer with varying intensities. So I have the lights turn on at 20%. Then over the next few hours they gradually increase until it gets to about 60% which runs for a few hours. Then they work their way back down in intensity, reverse of the ramp up, until lights out.
There are lots of models of lights that have that kind of customization.

Last edited:
One other consideration (I don't know if this applies in your case or not) is that the room should be in daylight or the room light on around an hour before the tank lights turn on, and after they turn off. Going from darkness to tank lights on, and vice versa when they turn off is stressful for fish.

All my tanks have a ramp up and ramp down - I have both the brands mentioned above.
I don't know what your goals are but well planted does not have to be high light. The tank in my signature has forest fish that prefer dim light (and some that really don't like bright light), its still planted - I just chose plants that need less light so that I can meet the needs of the fish.

There are a lot of places for them to hide. There are some days I never see them.

Someone said this is normal behavior for them. Itā€™s never happened until this morning

There are two light issues here, both of which affect fish significantly by causing stress which can become severe. First is the intensity of the light when it is one. Second is the sudden light coming on, or going off, that can also cause stress. I cover both in the article linked in my previous post. These are important, as they can weaken fish causing disease.

TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.

If you don't have live plants in the tank, you only need the light on for a few hours in the evening. You might turn them on at 4 or 5pm and off at 9pm.

If you do have live plants in the tank, you can have the lights on for 8-16 hours a day but the fish and plants need 8 hours of darkness to rest. Most people with live plants in their aquarium will have the lights on for 8-12 hours a day.

--------------------

TWO LIGHT UNITS
If you have two light units on the tank, put them on timers and have one come on first, then an hour later the second one can come on. It will be less stressful for the fish.

In the evening, turn the first light off and wait an hour, then have the second light go out.

If the lights have a low, medium and high intensity setting, have them on low in the morning, then increase it to medium after a couple of hours, and then high for the main part of the day. In the evening, reverse this and have the medium setting for a few hours, then low. Then turn the lights off.

--------------------

LIGHTING TIMES
Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

Plant lights should have equal amount of red and blue light and a bit less green light.

So Iā€™ve never seen this with these Kuhli Loaches

I have 3 that I got pretty young. They are growing and seem happy. Lots of places to hide.

This morning when I turned the light on the were going crazy. I thought it was the light but theyā€™ve never done that.

8 hours later and they are still at it. Swimming up and down the corners of the tank and going around and around from top to bottom.

Iā€™ve heard this might actually be a normal act triggered by a water change or something like that.

I did do a water change last night but againā€¦not unusual. I do them every Sunday. The only major difference is a added some plants.

Anything to worry about?

First thing to mention is your earlier thread largely on this issue. That was part of the problem, but not all of it from what we now have here, so I will offer some guidance on the whole issue.

Kuhli loaches is a shoaling/schooling species that needs a decent sized group. I'm afraid that three or four is not a decent sized group. That is a serious issue, because we have clear evidence now that shoaling/schooling species need groups in the 10+ range. Denied more in the group, the fish will be stressed, likely show increased aggression (aggressive species became more aggressive, while peaceful species became aggressive to varying degrees), and even have a latency to feed. The latter illustrates just how serious numbers are, when fish are reluctant to eat just because of their insecurity.

The light we did cover in the other thread, so I need only repeat that there can be trouble with bright light (intense light for plants was mentioned, but no details were given), and turning the tank light on or off in a room that is not well lighted at the time can shock fish.

Water changes do and will invigorate most fish, that is not a problem, far from it. Unless there is a significant difference in GH, pH or temperature between the tank and fresh water. "Significant," not minor or normal.

In cyprinids, especially loaches which belong to this Order, erratic behaviour is a sign of something that is seriously affecting the fish. Fish do jump to escape such conditions, and loaches are well know to jump out at night, so make sure there are no openings that may allow this.

I have merged two threads: the one which Byron referred to in the previous post (posts #1 to #10 in this merged thread) and a second on the same subject (posts #11 and #12)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back