Garra Rufa

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Carlovel1

& Oddballs
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the care this fish needs?
Like, does it need to be in groups...feeding...water conditions needed...

Carl

Does anyone know about the care this fish needs?
Like, does it need to be in groups...feeding...water conditions needed...

Carl

All I know is that it is the species which all the foot spa salons are stocking their tanks with. Keep them by the thousand, feed them on corny old feet. :sick:

Seriously though, it is a social fish, so keep it in a group of it;s own species.

Anything???

I got a trio of them today. Seem quite active

OK I'm slightly anxious. I think my Garra are not Garra Rufa. Sort of like a washed out SAE. But its definitely not a CAE. Will upload a pic in a moment.

P1040271.jpg

It seems to be Garra cambodgiensis or Garra ceylonensis

Fist fish that comes to mind is the False SAE, Garra cambodgiensis...
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Garra&species=cambodgiensis+&id=1339

Hope I'm wrong, in as much as I hate the whole principle of Garra Rufa being kept in far too warm "therapy pools," while getting so little food that they nibble of the feet of the business' clients, it would be great to see some of these come into the hobby and be given a humane setup...

Hope I'm wrong, in as much as I hate the whole principle of Garra Rufa being kept in far too warm "therapy pools," while getting so little food that they nibble of the feet of the business' clients, it would be great to see some of these come into the hobby and be given a humane setup...
Totally agree, I think G.Rufa get treated very cruelly. The insane temps these are just mind-blowing. 37C?! In the wild, the highest temps are around 10C less than this. Its a situation like P@H TBH, business is more a bigger priority than the fish's health, unfortunately.

Carl

What temp have you currently got this mystery garra at? As much as I've since come across a few photos of G. ceylonensis (that like 24-26C, little current) that look similar to your specimen, I'm wondering if the water temp could be stressing out a G. cambodgiensis (20-25C, decent current).

Tricky one this, I think I read somewhere there are ~12 different SAE-like fish in the hobby.

What temp have you currently got this mystery garra at? As much as I've since come across a few photos of G. ceylonensis (that like 24-26C, little current) that look similar to your specimen, I'm wondering if the water temp could be stressing out a G. cambodgiensis (20-25C, decent current).

Tricky one this, I think I read somewhere there are ~12 different SAE-like fish in the hobby.
The tank is at 25C and has relatively hig current, since it is filtered by both an internal and external philtre. But these Garas seem to love the current

Something else that has just sprung to mind is that the colours could be bleached out while your new trio are settling in and sorting out their hierachy and territory, just like what happens to new Panda Garras when brought home.

Something else that has just sprung to mind is that the colours could be bleached out while your new trio are settling in and sorting out their hierachy and territory, just like what happens to new Panda Garras when brought home.
Not really, when I introduced them to the tank, their colour was bleached out (white colour) In the photos, the colours are not bleached out

I have recently bought 5 garra rufa and i have to say money well spent they are brilliant fish.
I have them in a 55gal tank temp at 25c with plants they are active all the time very inquisitive little fish they dont bother any of my other fish at all and are happy munching on the hair algae that has been plagueing my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back