Gardneri Eggs Storage

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is day 4 of water incubation of some Garneri eggs, a couple of them were fungused so i removed them but the rest are are developing and i can actually see the little black dots which are the eyes of the fry. Its really intersting.

Just another quick question, is there a stage where i could remove the eggs and store them in damp peat for future use ? If yes what stage do i store them at ?

Ive seen one of the eggs move acouple of times today. I can actually see the little eyes in some of the eggs. How amazing and so interesting :drool:

When the eggs hatch do i take out the fry or leave them in with the other un-hatched eggs ?

10 days in now and the eggs are changing all the time, i can see the eyes of the fry very clearly and on the occasion the eggs twitch and move.

Where is everyone on here? Its been quiet for ages :blink:

Dont worry I'm following you on this.
C

Thanks Big C. Its day 10 and the eggs are changing everyday.

I have 4 guentheri red fry in a large food contianer one of the fry is a week or so older than the other 3 and around 1 cm in lengh should i remove him or all of them to a tank yet ? Ive got one ready and waiting.

Day 12 and a couple of the eggs have tails sticking out and one fry thats broken out of the eggs but the egg sack is still attatched and he doesnt seem to be moving much, is that normal ?

Do i remove the fry from the rest of the eggs or will they be ok with them for a few days ?

Can anyone HELP or advise on any of the above posts pleaaaaassee?

Thanks in advance :good:

Day 14 and the eggs are changing everyday, im thinking in the next couple of days they will be hatching.

Im not going to ask any advice as no one seems to want to help or offer advice any more, which is a shame as this is a great forum.

Slight slur on your behalf there mauy after all the help already given.
We are voluntary and have other things to do, which means sometimes we are not always around 24/7
As for your questions, yes this is sometimes normal with either a premature hatch or a fry trapped half in, half out of the egg membrane... sometimes fry can be left and will absorb the yolk sack outside the egg casing and will develop in the normal way once this is reached I have witnessed this with Riv. xiphidius on many occasions. Other times the fry will have used up all it's energy reserves in it's efforts to break free and will die from stress and exhaustion.
If fry are having trouble escaping the egg membrane you can place the egg in a small vial and give it a gentle shake and return the hatched fry to the tub and proceed as normal. (forced hatching)
Regards
C
As already mentioned, please be patient as not everyone can be around all of the time. In an emergency just drop me a PM or email which may provoke a more rapid response

Firstly BigC has done an article on this so all the info is available.from my experience most fry hatch and sit still till they use up the egg sac as soon as they are free swimming i will feed small amounts of a suitably sized food,be careful not to overfeed and pollute the tubs with the fry in regular maintenance is needed if you are to rear them

Thanks, the one that hatched premature sadly died after a while he never got the egg sack off him and was never swimming properly, i was really sad about this, i hate to see anything die.

I totally understand that people have alot of other commitments in their life. I personally work 6-7 days a week running my own gym and have a pregant wife to look after and fish keeping so i know exactly where your coming from and understand everyone is very busy.

I thought that i may have offended people on here as i never got a single response after a while to any of my queries.

Again please dont think i was being funny or anything and i appriciate your kind responses.

Thanks again Big C its good to know, apologies if i came across in the wrong way :good:

No problem,
Better luck with the next ones.
Nigel (ricefish) is also an avid killifish enthusiast and we are both heavily involved with the BKA and various other international fishkeeping bodies so any answers offered would be from personal experiences and can be respected.
Regards
C

Thanks again. Any advice i recieve from you guys is very much respected and appriciated. That was only one of the eggs that hatched theres another 6 that im hoping will hatch soon, fingers crossed.

Im really getting into killis, not only are the fish very beautiful i find them and their behaviours so interesting :good:

If you find at some stage that you would like to take your interest in killifish further, I would advise you to consider joining the British Killifish Association at some stage
http://www.bka.org.uk/
You will receive our bi monthly magazine Killi-News
but better still it will put you in contact with like-minded enthusiasts and breeders from which to obtain various species that interest you and you will learn a lot more by attending the various shows and auctions up and down the country.
You may well not be at this stage yet but something to consider if you feel that this niche area in aquatics is something you would like to pursue sometime in the future.
ATB
C

You can remove him/her if you so wish.
Regards
C

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back