What's new

Fuzz on plants

baehr4308

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Location
United States
Is this some sort of algae on my plants? I see little fuzz coming off my plants and also on my little artificial decor in the back.

image0.jpeg
 
OP
B

baehr4308

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Location
United States
I dont currently know my water parameters, I am still sorta new to fish keeping. But I have a timer on the light that is set for 10 hours. The other options are 6,10 or 12 hours. What can I use to get an accurate reading of my water parameters?

Also do you know what type? Is it harmful?

Thank you!
 

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
6,492
Reaction score
2,545
Location
Lawrenceburg KY.
I suggest getting the API Master Test Kit. It is very accurate and has over 800 individual tests.

Some people suggest getting the test strips, but they are very inaccurate. They may be cheaper then, but in the long run, the API master test kit is the way to go.

You may also try going to your LFS (local fish store) and see if they will test your water. My LFS does it for free.

This type of algae is not dangerous to my knowledge.
 

utahfish

Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
750
Algae isnt dangerous to fish but can kill your plants as the algae rob the plants of nutrients. Algae needs 8 hours of continuous light to grow, even light outside the tank is enough from an outside window or room light. Decreasing the time the lights are on will decrease algae. Knock it down to under 8 hrs. When the lights are off cover the glass with a towel or something to keep outside light out. Decrease feeding. Uneaten food contributes to excess nutrients for algae to use. If your feeding twice a day switch to once. If your feeding once a day go to every other day.the fish will be fine and the algae not.check your water, excess ammonia nitrates can cause algae. Excess phosphates caused by organic matter, food, poop, dead dying plant matter will cause algae. Doing water changes gets rid of nitrates and phosphates. Get a comprehensive liquid fertilizer. If plants arent getting the nutrient they need then algae will use them along with the light to grow. Check your light intensity and spectrum. Plant lights should be between 5000-6500 K bulbs, low to medium light plants generally need about 20 lumens/liter of full spectrum light if the light is not bright enough algae grows, if the light is too bright algae grows, its a fine balance. Lastly get some snails. Nerite snails are especially good at eating all sorts of algae and wont multiply in your tank. Good luck!
 
OP
B

baehr4308

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2020
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Location
United States
Algae isnt dangerous to fish but can kill your plants as the algae rob the plants of nutrients. Algae needs 8 hours of continuous light to grow, even light outside the tank is enough from an outside window or room light. Decreasing the time the lights are on will decrease algae. Knock it down to under 8 hrs. When the lights are off cover the glass with a towel or something to keep outside light out. Decrease feeding. Uneaten food contributes to excess nutrients for algae to use. If your feeding twice a day switch to once. If your feeding once a day go to every other day.the fish will be fine and the algae not.check your water, excess ammonia nitrates can cause algae. Excess phosphates caused by organic matter, food, poop, dead dying plant matter will cause algae. Doing water changes gets rid of nitrates and phosphates. Get a comprehensive liquid fertilizer. If plants arent getting the nutrient they need then algae will use them along with the light to grow. Check your light intensity and spectrum. Plant lights should be between 5000-6500 K bulbs, low to medium light plants generally need about 20 lumens/liter of full spectrum light if the light is not bright enough algae grows, if the light is too bright algae grows, its a fine balance. Lastly get some snails. Nerite snails are especially good at eating all sorts of algae and wont multiply in your tank. Good luck!
Thank you for the information! I use a liquid fertilizer and recently got a new light for the tank. I have seen most of my plants begin to sprout more because of it. but also the addition of that algae. I will go ahead and try covering the tank when the light is not on, thank you!
 

utahfish

Member
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
750
Thank you for the information! I use a liquid fertilizer and recently got a new light for the tank. I have seen most of my plants begin to sprout more because of it. but also the addition of that algae. I will go ahead and try covering the tank when the light is not on, thank you!
Try to get a liquid fert with more potassium than nitrates and more nitrates than phosphates.
Phosphates while a macro nutrient are in supply through fish food and other organics breaking down like plant matter. Too much phosphate will really grow algae.
Also read the ingredients of iron in your fert.
Most irons arent readily absorbed by plants which contribute to algae. Look for ferts with derived from iron gluconate which studies have shown is an effective form for plants to utilize. Remember anything your plants arent utilizing algae will.
 

Byron

Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
12,671
Reaction score
3,329
Location
CA
I would think the light is your main issue here. Reduce the duration (replacing the light if it is too intense for this system is expensive, so try the duration first). And get some substantial floating plants. Water Sprite, Tropical Frogbit, Water Lettuce are the best for this.
 
Top