[Funny/Warning] Fishkeeping made me go blind...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Invader675

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I woke up (home alone) yesterday and decided to test my tank water, it was looking good. Nearly done with my cycle (see siggy status) then since my Ammonia was low and I didn't want the bacteria to die I decided to add some ammonia.
Now for most people this would be no big deal, just shake the bottle and open her up, pour in a few drops and we're done...
Well I forgot the order that you shake then open a bottle of 9.5% PH 10 ammonia.
3 hours later after I left A&E after having saline solution pumped in for 2 hours and a doctor put various potions into my eye for the third I had not regained my sight in my right eye and I still can't open it. The PH of my eyeball was 8 when I left. 10 when I arrived.
On Monday I go back to the hospital for tests to see if I'll need glasses. Even the paramedics laughed at me.
Next cycle, excuse me if I use fish...
:-(

(It's ok to laugh, I can see the funny side! Ba-dum-cha!)

You have my eyes watering now, I just shook and added ammonia to my tank. :p Hope you get 100% better though.

:rofl:

Next time don't cycle. Clone your tank. :thumbs: Take some filter media out of your existing tank, and pop it in the filter of your new tank. Much safer, and easier on the eyes!

Edit :: I laughed cos I've done something similar, only it was with some floor cleaner when I was about 9 or 10 years old.. I know it hurts like hell but the funny part is, I really did have to wear an eye patch.

I feel bad for laughing, but you tell a good story.

I hope no permanent damage was done to your eye. -_-

eek not laughing here-sight is important. I hope your eye recovers.

lol
at least you can laugh about it

but be careful, ammonia is powerful stuff...
at least you did the reasonnable thing and went to a doctor. I would've probably just waited for the effect to neutralize by itself, thus probably going blind!

:lol: I was serious until i read "you can laugh about it" and then i couldnt hold it in!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No, i wouldnt blame you if you used fish next cycle either. Ive made a few silly mistakes too. Like zapping myself full of electricity re-pairing my pump. And zapping myself again from doggy eroding wiring. :S

No, i wouldnt blame you if you used fish next cycle either. Ive made a few silly mistakes too. Like zapping myself full of electricity re-pairing my pump. And zapping myself again from doggy eroding wiring.

Electrocution is no fun. Once, I was wiping down the walls of my kitchen and (distracted most likely by something shiny) ran the sponge over an electrical outlet. Luckily my hair was already spiked up so I didn't have to go redo it. :D

But about the ammonia in the eye thing. :-( That's no fun either. I have to keep a can of air spray near when cleaning out the kitty litter box cause of the ammonia smell. I can't imagine what it's like IN the eye.

It's good that you can laugh about it though.

*pictures Invader the instant after getting ammonia in the eye thinking "well crap..."* :lol:

Ouch. Get better soon!!
I remember when my parents were building our house, and they were putting my light fixture in. My dad was on the ladder hooking up the wiring. We already had electricity then. I was like 7 or 8 then, and I decided that I wanted to turn on the light!!! Well, my poor dad. ZAP!! He was ok, but I got yelled at!! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back