fungus on wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

corylover5

Fish Herder
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I got a nice piece of driftwood from my LFS around 2 months ago and a few weeks ago it got a weird fungus on one branch. It didn't start spreading until yesterday. The fungus seems to be spreading on the driftwood pretty fast. How do I remove this fungus? Is it harmful to my fish? I was told the wood was spiderwood.

Attachments

• 2020-07-07 15.21.06.jpg
    2020-07-07 15.21.06.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 2020-07-07 15.22.03.jpg
    2020-07-07 15.22.03.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 2020-07-07 15.22.38.jpg
    2020-07-07 15.22.38.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 40
I cannot say it is harmful, I can only say it could be. There are many species of fungus and mold associated with various woods, and only an exam by a microbiologist can determine which species, and thus whether harmful or not.

How are the fish reacting? If you see increased respiration, lethargy, it may indicate trouble. When I had this I also had a slight whitish haze in the water. I've no idea if this is common to all toxic fungi or not.

The water was cloudy for a while but it is clear now. All my fish are acting normal, swimming around and eating well.

Take the wood out and hose it off. Do a big water change and then put the wood back in. If the fungus returns, hose it off again. Eventually it will stop growing.

I used a hose to blast off the fungus but it has come back again but worse. The fungus is almost covering the driftwood. I will hose it off again tomorrow. I'm going to my LFS tomorrow and I was wondering if any snails would eat the fungus off the wood. My mystery snails won't touch the fungus but would a nerite snail eat the fungus?

I would pull the wood and spray well with hydrogen peroxide. Let sit for 15-30 minutes, then spay well again. Then rinse well and put back in the tank.

After I use the hydrogen peroxide on the wood would it be safe for my snails to crawl on and for my upside down catfish to hide in?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back