Fully Aquatic Newts?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NorthEastFisherman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have several tanks a 29g, 26g, 15g, 10g, and a few couple gallon tanks. Just browsing petco and saw lizards and geckos and thought how cool they were but my parents would never let me get a gecko or lizard but im sure i could get an aquatic newt of somesort. My question is; is there a fully aquatic newt that would be able to live with fish without an island thats above water? A newt or salamander that has the same requirements as fish would be perfect!

There's such things as Axolotls which are basically "undeveloped" newts. They don't go through a certain stage of metamorphosis so stay fully aquatic with gills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

A few members on here keep them, I've had them in the past (hence my signature .gif) and I think they are adorable.
Not too difficult to care for either!

You'd probably be looking at using the 29g for one, maybe two depending on the dimensions?
I'm definitely not an expert here so could try sifting through some old threads on the forums.

Not too sure on something that isn't a newt, but a Senegal Bichir is fully aquatic and very dinosaur like - they go by the name Dinosaur Bichir more commonly too!
Again, will have to do some research :)
I've been trying to find out some info on the Bichir myself but there's not an awful lot available. Perhaps I just can't google properly.

Ax'ls are the only ones that I know of readily available that stay submersed. However, I do not know of any where a mixed tank will definitely work.

IF you want to work on the parents for a gecko, research Crested Geckos. Whilst they benefit from live foods like crickets, cockroaches and worms, they are not essential and can live on a complete diet food paste called Repashy. They are one of the cutest lizards you get, are arboreal so a 45x45x45 home for one is good. After taming handling is possible but be prepared to work on that taming! Finally despite having many of these guys, we have only ever been mouthed by ones that have just hatched. Young and adults have never bitten us.
Oh i should add, they like to be about 21/22 degrees: we keep our room permanently at 21ish so we dont use any extra heating for them.

Axolotols, but you can't keep them with most tropical fish and they're illegal in some states like California :(.

dgwebster said:
Ax'ls are the only ones that I know of readily available that stay submersed. However, I do not know of any where a mixed tank will definitely work.

IF you want to work on the parents for a gecko, research Crested Geckos. Whilst they benefit from live foods like crickets, cockroaches and worms, they are not essential and can live on a complete diet food paste called Repashy. They are one of the cutest lizards you get, are arboreal so a 45x45x45 home for one is good. After taming handling is possible but be prepared to work on that taming! Finally despite having many of these guys, we have only ever been mouthed by ones that have just hatched. Young and adults have never bitten us.
Oh i should add, they like to be about 21/22 degrees: we keep our room permanently at 21ish so we dont use any extra heating for them.

Lies, I've had an adult female hanging off my finger. No chance, Beardies all the way, just lost my 9 year old girl to a tumor :(

Sophie said:

Lies, I've had an adult female hanging off my finger. No chance, Beardies all the way, just lost my 9 year old girl to a tumor :(
Sad to hear about loosing your girl :( we lost two adults, one our most successful egg layer, after upgrading their housing & mister: resulting combo had the humidity too high resulting if a fast deterioration in health in just over 24 hours, by 72 hours we figured the problem after getting our hands on a digital hydrometer. The male passed away that day, the female a day later.

Then, we lost a bunny :(

But we've handled over 30 cresties in the last year and only had newborns attempt to bite. Yours was just telling you it loves you :D

I’ve had these two for about 4 years- planted tank with angel fish, schools of tetras, rasboras, Zebra catfish. There’s no land, and the depth is about 20” to the surface.

Incidentally how do you know if they’re male/female?

Attachments

• 9E0682ED-3793-45E2-8A94-42C841F943A3.jpeg
    9E0682ED-3793-45E2-8A94-42C841F943A3.jpeg
    993.1 KB · Views: 317

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back