frogs

sharktale

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I am setting up a small 2ft aquarium for my son to have in his bedroom. He wants to have a frog but I have no experience with keeping them. He has a male betta and will have some tetras and platys and a golden bristlie. Are they easy to keep?
Thanks

Hi sharktale :)

African Dwarf Frogs are great little pets, but IMHO are better kept by themselves or with only a betta. They are shy little things that often have trouble competing with the fish for food.

I feed mine live blackworms or tubifex worms, and "Frog Bites." which is a tiny sinking pellet which will fall to the bottom where they can find it. The problem is that other fish are likely to find it first.

If you keep them, please be sure that there are no open areas at the top of the tank where they could jump out. For their size, they are surprisingly strong jumpers and can fit through very small openings.

Here's a link with much good information about them and their larger relatives the African Clawed Frogs:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=18252

I accaidently bought a clawed frog, and he has not eaten any of my fish. :kana: He mostly stays under my rock. And cannot survive out of the water, so I don't have to worry about him escaping. My fish are rosy reds and shrimp. I feed him reptile pellets which are too big for the fish too eat. So I don't have to worry about him not getting his food. But I could have just gotten a good tempered frog. :wub: Best of luck on what you decide. ;)

I suspect that just because the frog cannot survive out of water doesn't mean that he won't try. After all he doesn't know that there isn't any water outside!

Also how does he do on reptile food (him not being a reptile). I'm thinking of getting a frog or two, depending on which kind I can house, and it would be good to know.

I have read on this forum that clawed frogs start of docile but when they reach a certain size they start killing fish, so take care!

Hi sparklingcolorsafw :)

I think you might have some wrong ideas about your ACF. :nod:

I responded to you on another thread before I saw this one, so you already have information about the accommodations it will need. These admirable little creatures are great jumpers and sooner or later will jump out of the water if given the opportunity. The need securely covered tanks.

His eating habits are not due to his personality, but to his size. Yours is still a baby. As he grows, he will eat, literally, anything that will fit into his mouth. This is a reflex, not poor manners. A friend of mine watched helplessly as hers ate a fully grown cory that it had been raised with. :X

I feed mine shrimp pellets, bits of shrimp or scallop, live blackworms and feeder guppies.

These frogs are the same ones that originated in Kenya and which, during the dry season, will bury themselves in the mud and hibernate, or risk their lives by hopping out of their drying puddle to go in search of a better one.

If you take good care of your little guy, he will be a great pet for a long time to come. :thumbs:

One the retile food it says it is also for frogs and the lfs recamened it when I asked what to feed my frog. Thanks for your advice Inchworm. I am getting a bigger tank soon so I will beable to move my fish before my albino gets too big. :alien: :fun:

I feed my albino ACF frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. He/she makes short work of gobling up all that's put in the tank!
And he has tried to escape! Don't think that because they live in water they won't! As it's been said, they don't know there's no water outside their aquarium. Luckily, I had already covered all the spaces in the hood of the tank. You should take the same precautions with your ADF.
HBH makes an amphibian pellet that my guy was fed prior to me buying him at Petco. I didn't buy any because they were out... Since then, he's been gorging himself on the foods I mentioned. Seems to be happy, so if it ain't broke...
Good luck with your froggie! Erin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back