Friends Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry but I persist with saying :
- QT asap.
- Change of water 50% every other day until complete recovery.
- Treatment : get cotton swabs, gel form iodine disinfectant or hydrogen peroxyde, soak the swab with disinfectant, take the fish out of the water, and carefully brush infected area. Put the fish back in the QT. To be done twice a day, until complete recovery.
Every time you treat him, give a treat he loves. The idea is that he associates exit from the water + treatment = treat. This kind of giving fish or any other animal confidence is incredibly usefull.

There is no point quarantining the fish because it has had the problem for one year. If it was a contagious disease, it would have spread by now.

That's right, my "quarantine reflex for fishes plants" took over :lol:

I have read over all the questions and replies but out of all honesty, everyone seems more passionate about these 3 common goldfish than the OWNER of the mentioned tank. This "friend" that has sparked the conversation, can only relay this valuable information. It's the person who owns the tanks responsibility. SHE should be the one reaching out here. Part of me believes that she is probably not to concerned with aquarium etiquette and maintenance. Most people like that feel that the common goldfish is just good for feeding other fish or give to the child that wants a pet but it's the parent(s) that end up taking care of it, so the goldfish is that ultimate "go and throw" pet(go get one $1.00, it dies gets thrown in the toilet for a water burial, then go get another one). Go and throw. Doing just the basics...gravel, a few plastic decorations, dechlorinating the tap water and feeding the basic goldfish flakes. Most likely to only change the water when it starts to look like mud and they can barely see them swimming around. Goldfish can survive in tank extremes that most other tropical fish would die in. They are low maintenance is the belief.

I have read over all the questions and replies but out of all honesty, everyone seems more passionate about these 3 common goldfish than the OWNER of the mentioned tank. This "friend" that has sparked the conversation, can only relay this valuable information.
I suspect that the passion is simply because everyone in here is passionate about the fish and gets angered by apparent stupidity or ignorance of those who clearly do not share that passion.
We are also 'talking' about the typed word, which has it's own limitations.
Whilst the OP does not appear to personally merit any of the anger, hopefully they will be able to convey the feelings experienced in a way that the goldfish owner can understand. ;)

Update:
She says that she thinks her grandma has been doing water changes everyday and adding salt. She’s bought a test kit but doesn’t know how to use it. Of her knowledge there is no improvement. And she’s at a hospital right now so she wont be able to check for atleast a few days

Update:
She says that she thinks her grandma has been doing water changes everyday and adding salt. She’s bought a test kit but doesn’t know how to use it. Of her knowledge there is no improvement. And she’s at a hospital right now so she wont be able to check for atleast a few days
She 'thinks' Grandma is doing water changes and 'adding salt'!
She's bought a test kit, but is incapable of reading the basic instructions on how to use it?
What was she hoping to get out of having a glass box with fish in it?
Given her apparent level of seemingly total disinterest, I really think she should re-home the fish and have a re-think about future livestock she may wish to abuse.

Update:

Yo man, I think the best course of action right now is for your friend, yourself, or your friend's grandma need to try and source a much much larger tank for the goldfish, as everyone has rightly said it's inhumane for 3 goldfish that require 40 gallons minimum just for one fish to be kept together in a 10-gallon tank. Have a look at third-party selling sites like gumtree eBay Facebook marketplace and try to find a tank of a suitable size for the 3 of them and if there's not enough space or their economic situation is too stretched to do so, then I would suggest you find a local shop or kind local person that may have space to look after them or give to them for your friend.

I'm assuming your friend is new to fish keeping, as am I but it is paramount that thorough research is completed before buying fish that are misconceived as being easy to keep. I would suggest if they want to continue with the hobby and cant source a larger tank you use the 10 gallons as a tropical tank and start off with some easier fish to look after like guppy and tetra.

I hope your friend at the hospital is okay and good job of seeking help here. Hope you understand that people can get quite irate under the parameters the fish are being kept under, everyone here is obviously here for the same reason, their passion for fish!

I do agree. But sellers also share of (big) responsability here....
Oh yea 100%, when I initially went into the pets at home store I asked about keeping them as part of my research into my first tank, and they gave me so much valuable info that I had no idea about, sometimes speaking to people is much more helpful than looking for an answer on the internet. Thats why I love this forum too

She's bought a test kit, but is incapable of reading the basic instructions on how to use it?
Given her apparent level of seemingly total disinterest, I really think she should re-home the fish and have a re-think about future livestock she may wish to abuse.

She’s interested she just made the mistake of listening to people at the store thinking that they were 100% right. She doesn’t know if her grandma has been doing it you’re right and I’m going to explain how to use the test kit when she gets out of the hospital.
She’s going to try to get a bigger tank but if she can’t will re home them
Yo man, I think the best course of action right now is for your friend, yourself, or your friend's grandma need to try and source a much much larger tank for the goldfish, as everyone has rightly said it's inhumane for 3 goldfish that require 40 gallons minimum just for one fish to be kept together in a 10-gallon tank. Have a look at third-party selling sites like gumtree eBay Facebook marketplace and try to find a tank of a suitable size for the 3 of them and if there's not enough space or their economic situation is too stretched to do so, then I would suggest you find a local shop or kind local person that may have space to look after them or give to them for your friend.

I'm assuming your friend is new to fish keeping, as am I but it is paramount that thorough research is completed before buying fish that are misconceived as being easy to keep. I would suggest if they want to continue with the hobby and cant source a larger tank you use the 10 gallons as a tropical tank and start off with some easier fish to look after like guppy and tetra.

I hope your friend at the hospital is okay and good job of seeking help here. Hope you understand that people can get quite irate under the parameters the fish are being kept under, everyone here is obviously here for the same reason, their passion for fish!
Same thing I said above

Please don't blame the person with the fish. They have asked for help from their friend and they are trying to get help from us.

People don't always get good information when they get pets and for most people, it's a learning experience. It was for me, and most of the people on this forum and other forums. If pet suppliers did their job properly, there would be little need for fish forums like this one.

Just try to provide helpful answers without judging the people asking for help.

I suspect that the passion is simply because everyone in here is passionate about the fish and gets angered by apparent stupidity or ignorance of those who clearly do not share that passion.
We are also 'talking' about the typed word, which has it's own limitations.
Whilst the OP does not appear to personally merit any of the anger, hopefully they will be able to convey the feelings experienced in a way that the goldfish owner can understand. ;)
I definitely agree.

And I reiterate the comment I posted in the beginning.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back