Friends Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

PhantomCarp

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So today I learned that one of my friends has a tank. Itā€™s a 10 gallon with 3 common gold fishes, Iā€™m working with her to fix this situation but we are more prioritized with one of her fish who has had this thing around its eye for around a year from what theyā€™ve told me. Does anyone have any idea what this might be, and how to treat it?

Attachments

• B6D1AF32-E610-4C09-95D6-E8807BB1838A.jpeg
    B6D1AF32-E610-4C09-95D6-E8807BB1838A.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 45
So today I learned that one of my friends has a tank. Itā€™s a 10 gallon with 3 common gold fishes, Iā€™m working with her to fix this situation but we are more prioritized with one of her fish who has had this thing around its eye for around a year from what theyā€™ve told me. Does anyone have any idea what this might be, and how to treat it?
is it a baby tank for the pond?
if not, very very very overstocked tanks will definitely cause problems for fish
youd probably need a 200 gallon for 3 goldfish...
anyway!
i don't know much about carp

i searched it up, seems to be from an injury.
can i have a photo of the tank?
parameters?

is it a baby tank for the pond?
if not, very very very overstocked tanks will definitely cause problems for fish
youd probably need a 200 gallon for 3 goldfish...
anyway!
i don't know much about carp

i searched it up, seems to be from an injury.
can i have a photo of the tank?
parameters?
She set this up like many who donā€™t know much of anything about fish keeping she doesnā€™t even know what parameters are so Iā€™m sorry i canā€™t get those, here is a picture. And no itā€™s not a baby tank

Attachments

• D83C0EFB-A495-44D9-9095-9392715C9680.jpeg
    D83C0EFB-A495-44D9-9095-9392715C9680.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 44
OMG 30 gal. for 3 goldies :eek: It is an aberration.
I'm afraid it is an abscess that can recover itself or not.
We need to know asap what water is used (tapwater?) NH3 NO2 NO3, waterchanges frequency and volume.

OMG 30 gal. for 3 goldies :eek: It is an aberration.
I'm afraid it is an abscess that can recover itself or not.
We need to know asap what water is used (tapwater?) NH3 NO2 NO3, waterchanges frequency and volume.
10 gallon Iā€™ll see if I can get those. They donā€™t have a test kit Iā€™ll see if they can get one

First of all, she MUST make a huge waterchange of same temperature and composition. 50% isthe bare minimum, to do again 4-5 days later, check "situation" and give parameter results.

Sorry to say this coz she is your friend... such people should be forbidden to own any pet, including fish!

It may be treatable but you have to act VERY fast :
- QT.
- Change of water 50% every other day until complete recovery.
- Treatment : get cotton swabs, gel form iodine disinfectant, soak the swab with disinfectants, take the fish out of the water, and carefully brush infected area. Put the fish back in the water. To be done twice a day, until complete recovery.

but my friend has 5 in a ten-gallon, and I got my second ten-gallon from my younger brothers friends that had four
does that justify keeping goldfish in small tanks for you? keeping a fish with such a bio-load in such a small amount of water results in an ammonia bath, and it's unbelievably unethical to slowly kill a fish by bone abnormalities due to improperly sized housing. if you have nothing useful to say, please do not say anything, as you're beginning to come across as irresponsible.

back to the original topic, why would you need quarantine? it's been mentioned that the fish has had the eye problem for a year. if it's transmissible, it is already too late, and a QT is unnecessary. you need a big QT to manage the bio-load of this fish anyway, and setting up another tank of bigger size for the one fish isn't feasible.

@Unicornblast5000 this kind of disrexpect also leads to spatial dwarfism : because of the lack of space, fish doesn't grow normaly in length . its organs grow normally inside the fish, are compressed. I let you guess how it ends for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back