Friends For An Angry Rts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm after ideas for tank-mates for my super aggressive 4 year old red tailed shark, Lenny. He's my baby, and I love him to bits, but he really is a violent little tyke.

He currently shares my 75g long with a single clown loach having harassed a common plec, 2 sailfin mollies and 1 clown loach to death.

I've kept him on his own for quite some time now and I'm happy to continue to do so if there really are no other options, but the other members of my household are getting frustrated by the 'empty' tank (it's in the living room). I'm struggling to hold up the planted side of things with so little life too.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking along the lines of small shoaling fish as he seemed to leave the harlequin rasbora I kept with him for a while (now in my 35g) alone.

Im glad that he wasn't killed by the clown loach.

the mistake you made was you had too many bottom feeders in one tank.

Red tail sharks do tend to be aggressive towards similar looking bottom feeders.

If he did harass the mollies it means he can do it to the harlequin.

Cichlids are my best bet on this situation. preferably South or Central American cichlids like the convict and the firemouth.

these fish are territorial and need an area where they are able to take their claim or will take the whole tank. they need caves, densely planted aquariums and i would say that the size that you have him in is good.
depending on the aggression level of the fish, some can be kept with barbs (example) while others cannot and will kill them.
with the aggression level that you have with your fish either you put aggressive fish that won't grow large enough to eat him, but able to withstand and give the aggression back to him.
so you'll need a large, fast schooling group. around 10+ barbs either tiger, rosy, green or gold.

if you still have the clown loach, they should be in groups of 6+ and get large, but should be fine in your tank size. not 100% sure as i've never kept them because my tanks are too small for them, but i know they are schooling fish.

It's a shame really. He was a very peaceful fish up until about 6 months ago + I really haven't known how to deal with him since. I've been looking to rehome the clown loach for a while, as I don't feel the tank length can accommodate a proper group of them, but I'm struggling to find somewhere for it.

Barbs sound pretty good. I have more experience with them than with firemouths or convicts.

cichlids will hold their own with it. Usually something larger and meaner lol

Have you asked your LFS if they'll take the clown loach? I agree the tank wouldn't be able to accomodate a proper group of them :/

A bunch of barbs in this tank sounds really lovely. If that is the route you go would really like to see some pictures!

I asked one LFS but they changed their policy recently and they won't take fish unless I can prove I bought it there (which I didn't). I'm going to ask my nearest Maidenhead next time I'm there.

I have wanted to try cichlids for a very long time. I was really hoping to lower overall aggression in the tank, but I guess it would be better if I got fish who could fight back. I'm still leaning towards barbs currently though.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back