Friendly Forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/386440-new-90-litre-bow-front/

And yes it was Tizer. I was quite suprised at his poor atitude towards me, even saying "do one you bellend" in a message on his own profile page. I find that offensive. I have been a member of MULTIPLE forums over the last 10 years and have never met anyone as rude as him. Forums are meant to be friendly. Please do not think I am ignoring the advice he or anyone else has given, however one of my very best friends works at my LFS, called Harrogate Aquatics on Forest Moore Road in Knaresborough and I intend to follow her advice. I joined this forum to mainly get idea's of what fish look nice together and mix well, and to see other peoples tank designes and get ideas for mine.

But I can see that this is probably not going to be possible.

Ive been to that shop before and yes they stock good quality fish and the main women who works there knows her stuff and im pretty sure she would advice you to monitor your ammonia not just nitrites/nitrates. Some of the staff who work there don't know what there talking about so if i where you id go back and speak to the main women (i think shes the manager) i guarantee she will tell you, you have to test your ammonia. Be very surprised is she doesn't advice you to do so :blink:

It was the manager who I spoke to who is my friend. She is the one who sold me the new tank after my second hand tank disaster, advised me of fish, and sold me the chemicals to get started with. I did ask her about ammonia because I heard about it on here and she said I didnt need to bother with it.

The couple of times i've been there to get apisto's ive always over heard her saying to people you need to test ammonia or is your ammonia high you need to test this and that blah blah. Always sounded like she's stated the obvious and you need to sort the problem out by doing this etc(testing water) .. I don't know why she hasn't stated this to you, well im confused. You definitely need to test the ammonia mate, at least then when the tank is settled and cycled you can use the forum to look at pics and get idea's for yours :good:

Thats unfortiunately very poor advice.

Take a few minutes to look up the nitrogen cycle (which is what is happening in your small body of water), ammonia is a key stage (whether its free/bound or other..

You need to learn about this from a good book, so that its in black and white.

Fish shop managers, are often knowledgable about somethings, but can't know everything.

Perhaps there was confusion between fish-less and fish-in cycling? I had the same conversation with my LFS friend and she just didn't have a clue as to why I would need to add ammonia! But she did insist on a decent liquid test that included ammonia.

I must admit that I too took offense to a comment by Tizer, but after a bit more discussion, I found that it was just me. Taking offense! I believe that many things get lost in translation when typing and after reading the comments on this post, I actually feel quite sorry for the old-timers when people like me come on here talking crap and trying to run before I can walk! I can only imagine the frustration and eye-rolling going on at their end of the computer! :D That does not mean that people can be insulting. We can all act polite, surely?

I hope you don't leave. No-one knows enough about one subject, so it's good to get many opinions and ideas and make your choice from there, especially as this involves living things that deserve our best shot.

If you think we're just being spiteful and ganging up on you, please read other articles on well respected websites like PFK. Here's a link to an article about ammonia and other aspects of the nitrogen cycle:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=2627

dbdac092.jpg

This is a very active and knowledgable forum. You can tell by how many responses this topic alone is getting.
Members can shoot from the hip but offense is rarely meant just advice. Stick with it and you'll learn alot.
yes.gif

Don't feed the trolls
The OP is obviously not a troll; he's upset at what appears to him to be conflicting advice and we're upset that he doesn't want to accept our advice.

Accusations of trolling really aren't helpful at the moment.

This is a good form and i have the same tank as u i listend to my lfs did what they said lost 10 fish in 1 week took the rest back started cycling my tank and bought another 2 ready for cycling and not overstocking

Having read both this and the other thread I think you need to think about which advice you value more.

If it is Tizer and the other EXTREMELY knowledgeable people on here then great - please stick around and for heavens sake get and ammonia test kit - you REALLY need one.

If you are only going to follow the advice of your LFS friend then it's kind of pointless coming on here to ask for other peoples advice and then complaining when they give it.

Having read both this and the other thread I think you need to think about which advice you value more.

If it is Tizer and the other EXTREMELY knowledgeable people on here then great - please stick around and for heavens sake get and ammonia test kit - you REALLY need one.

If you are only going to follow the advice of your LFS friend then it's kind of pointless coming on here to ask for other peoples advice and then complaining when they give it.

I am not complaining about the advice other people have given, I am complaining about that attitude that came with it...

I have put my input into your thread Torrid and I think you will like what I have to say. It's a very nice tank, btw, but now, hahaha, you'll have to work to keep both plants and fish alive. I will be locking this topic now. Please don't take offense.

In a forum, some people are nice, while some people are more direct with their responses. You'll learn that quickly. We are one big, sometimes disfunctional family, but we all have the hobby in common.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back