Freshwater Pufferfish

Goggy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a tank that consists of one betta fish, school of rummy nose, 2 black ghost knifefish, 2 loach, 4 sucker fish and school of gold barbs. Will puffer fish be a good addition to the tank? If so which type of freshwater pufferfish be good?
Thanks!

No. There is not a puffer which will work well with your current stock. And, really, you have a lot of issues with your present stock. When the knifefish are adults, they will easily eat the tetras and possibly the betta (their mouths get very large). What size tank is this? I'm hoping it's 100+ gallons...

Agreed, pufferfish would be a very bad idea. Just to add, the BGK could probably eat nearly all the fish in there when adult.

Wills

Yes, my tank is around 100 gallons and I plan to move the knifefishes to the pond once they get older.
Can I also ask how big are the BGK when they are capable of eating everything up?

Yes, it is better to move Knifefishes into your pond as they grwon up or start to threaten other fish.

The BGK can get very mean and will probably eat everything when its big enough, and the puffer would be super super aggressive and probably tear the bettas fins. 

Heres something to watch to see how big their mouths are before they are a problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZO_wyslrVE

No, most pufferfish are better suited to species only tanks since like mentioned above they can/will take chunks out of other fish.

How do you keep your pond heated? Or is it indoors?
You'll want a very large pond to keep two BGK together.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

What sort of loaches do you have? They all require groups of 6+ though 8-10 or more is better.
What sort of sucker fish do you have? If you don't know you can post pictures and someone should be able to ID them.

I live in Thailand so the pond is always warm outside my pond is very large

I have Indian loach going to get 4 more
I have Chinese algae eaters
my tank is 100 gallons
My tank is 3 by 8 feet

A tank that is 3 feet by 8 feet should be much larger than 100 gallons right?

Would you mind making a thread for all your tanks? id love to see some photos

Course
I just have to get home first
I am on my phone

Most reactions

trending

Back