Freshwater Frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I heard somewhere they don't like water that is vibrating / disturbed by a vigorous outlet of a filter. Is this true will I have to buy a whisper filter

I heard somewhere they don't like water that is vibrating / disturbed by a vigorous outlet of a filter. Is this true will I have to buy a whisper filter

I do remember something being said about that. though, i personally, didn't find it a problem.
I'd do a forum search for ADF/African Dwarf Frog. and trawl through the posts, there.
perhaps you can get a feel for the "general" requirements members have found, over the years.

there are no "Hard and fast Rules". indeed no research to spawn it.

Hi I have to jump in and clarify a few points - -

The common African Clawed Frog Species is Xenopus Laevis, and can reach up to 4-5" SVL (snout to vent lenght aka nose to bottom) - this does not include legs. They need larger systems and adequate filtration. I have kept and bred these for years and would never keep even one frog in an unfiltered tank. There are so many options for filtration that work well, just do not use the undergravel filter. Keep in mind that the frogs you are buying have been bred and raised in captivity and exposed to filtration through out their lifetime - the "jackhammer" exaggeration in my opinion may apply to wild caught but again is an over-exaggeration to say the least.

African Dwarf Frogs, Hymenochirus, reach up to 1.5" SVL and can survive in a community tank of very peaceful fish but they do not thrive by any means. Where as the ACF is a big boisterous floppy frog, the ADF is a timid little thing that can startle easily by a fish swimming too close and does not do well competing for food against quick fish who can see clearly vs their shadowy vision. ADF primarily hunt by smell or if something moves in their vicinity (may every now and then grab a long fin it if dangles near their face). This makes them very slow hunters as they have to sniff out the location of the food in the tank, and the fish see it fall and start gorging. Most ADF in a community tank are underweight to say the least and often die from starvation. This is also a species that requires a cycled filtration system, but with a gentle output (similar to a betta). They are very sensitive to ammonia and often die in newer or novice tank systems because of it.

Both species I have personally kept and have fallen in love with both. I have a soft spot for the ACF and have kept three species of them over the years.

It boils down to how big of a system you would like - - if you have a 10 gallon then 1 ACF or 5-6 ADF would work for you.
Tall systems do not work well for ADF, remember they have to surface for air and will not use any "bridges" to sit on to bring them closer - they do not have the brain power to figure out that they have to stay there to breathe. Water over 14 inches should be avoided.

ACF work well in deeper systems. They have the leg power to climb the water column. Kept mine in 2 feet of water with out problems and have known people to keep them in 3+ feet.

A 20 gallon long can house 3 ACF, 12-15 ADF.

and so on.

If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

Hi I have to jump in and clarify a few points - -

The common African Clawed Frog Species is Xenopus Laevis, and can reach up to 4-5" SVL (snout to vent lenght aka nose to bottom) - this does not include legs. They need larger systems and adequate filtration. I have kept and bred these for years and would never keep even one frog in an unfiltered tank. There are so many options for filtration that work well, just do not use the undergravel filter. Keep in mind that the frogs you are buying have been bred and raised in captivity and exposed to filtration through out their lifetime - the "jackhammer" exaggeration in my opinion may apply to wild caught but again is an over-exaggeration to say the least.

African Dwarf Frogs, Hymenochirus, reach up to 1.5" SVL and can survive in a community tank of very peaceful fish but they do not thrive by any means. Where as the ACF is a big boisterous floppy frog, the ADF is a timid little thing that can startle easily by a fish swimming too close and does not do well competing for food against quick fish who can see clearly vs their shadowy vision. ADF primarily hunt by smell or if something moves in their vicinity (may every now and then grab a long fin it if dangles near their face). This makes them very slow hunters as they have to sniff out the location of the food in the tank, and the fish see it fall and start gorging. Most ADF in a community tank are underweight to say the least and often die from starvation. This is also a species that requires a cycled filtration system, but with a gentle output (similar to a betta). They are very sensitive to ammonia and often die in newer or novice tank systems because of it.

Both species I have personally kept and have fallen in love with both. I have a soft spot for the ACF and have kept three species of them over the years.

It boils down to how big of a system you would like - - if you have a 10 gallon then 1 ACF or 5-6 ADF would work for you.
Tall systems do not work well for ADF, remember they have to surface for air and will not use any "bridges" to sit on to bring them closer - they do not have the brain power to figure out that they have to stay there to breathe. Water over 14 inches should be avoided.

ACF work well in deeper systems. They have the leg power to climb the water column. Kept mine in 2 feet of water with out problems and have known people to keep them in 3+ feet.

A 20 gallon long can house 3 ACF, 12-15 ADF.

and so on.

If you have any other questions I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

You know you said gentle filtration could I put some sponge over my filter outlet and put it close to the water or would that not be enough. .????

That should be fine. Why dont you try the Whisper Submergible filter? I use it for my betta, and he dosent get blown by it.

They would kill your betta. Check out the betta journals. There is one in there of someone who lost a betta to a frog.

I think that's me you're talking about?

Yes, a dwarf frog killed my betta. They were in a 5 gallon tank, and after only one evening (if I'm remembering right- it wasn't more than two) after adding the frogs I woke up to find Severus (my betta) stuck to the filter intake with his fins ripped to pieces. Of course, Severus was a halfmoon with VERY large flowy fins (tempting target, slow movement), and the frog may have just been very aggressive- he also killed and ate one of my shrimp, and fought with another frog and broke his leg, eventually leading to his death. A faster betta like a plackat or a veiltail might have more luck, but I wouldn't risk it again. :no:

Yes i was talking about you. :good: all frogs will jump at the chance of a meal, including mine. :lol:

Do they carry salmonella because i heardsomewhere they do ????

If they do is it catchable and is it dangerous ????

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back