Freshwater Frogs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M4R13Y

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I quite like frogs and wondered if freshwater frogs were worth it ???? :hyper:

i quite like frogs too but not sure if my stocking would be suitable, will watch for any replies

Depends on whats in your tank.they have bad eyesight. Really only for species tanks.

They would kill your betta. Check out the betta journals. There is one in there of someone who lost a betta to a frog.

Are they truly aquatic or do they need dry land / driftwood ???? ????

How long an they hold their breath ???

Are u sure they don't need a bit of land

Assuming you are talking about Xenopus Lavicus, the Clawed Frog, then no they dont need land. I dont know how ong they can hold there breath, but as long as they can get to the surface, they are fine. Same thing applies with the African Dwarf Frog.

Assuming you are talking about Xenopus Lavicus, the Clawed Frog, then no they dont need land. I dont know how ong they can hold there breath, but as long as they can get to the surface, they are fine. Same thing applies with the African Dwarf Frog.

Ok thank you very much :good: :cool:

I only have experience with dwarf frogs. Yes they are fully aquatic, but should not be kept in a tank with water deeper than 12, maybe 14, inches or they can get exhausted having to swim too far for air and drown. They are escape artists, so plug any holes in the lid. One of mine got out of the hole the filter and heater wires go though, and I found it under a plastic box at the other side of the room. It lived another six months after jenste on here advised me what to do. Feeding them is the major problem in tanks with fish. Dwarf frogs are almost blind and find their food by smell, and by the time they find it the fish will most likely have already eaten it all. Despite what you may read, they shouldn't be fed on just live (or frozen live) food. Like with most community fish, those are just treats and frogs should be fed on dry food such as HBH frog food (USA) or zoomed frog food (UK), or one of the other makes you might come across.
As crazyforcorydoras said, they should really be kept in species-only tanks.

My dwarf frogs didn't kill my betta, but I had to separate them as they mistook his tail for food and he ended up with finrot. The betta is a dragon scale and is almost blind (a problem with dragon scales is that the scaling can grow over their eyes). Having two types of animal that couldn't see properly was not a good idea. The frogs could smell food, saw a moving shape (the betta) and lunged for it, while the betta couldn't see them coming and move out of the way.

I quite like frogs and wondered if freshwater frogs were worth it ???? :hyper:

ACF (African Clawed Frogs) are a nice species only critter. but will kill and eat anything.
ADF (African Dwarf Frogs) and be kept in a community. (but its best not to).
thing is, they are not good swimmers (i kid you not) so need a competitively shallow tank. and have bad eyesight.. so feeding is problematic.
whilst both breath air, they are amphibians, so can breath under water too. Absorbing 02 through their skins).

I'd go for ADF's. they are a cool, easy to look after stock. and happy ones sing! (again i kid you not)

African Clawd frogs get bigger too, i think 3 inches? Dwarf frogs are better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back