Forgot To Put Water Conditioner!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After I took out half of my tank water for a water change, I forgot to put my Prime Water Conditioner in the new incoming water!

It was in the pail and after leaving it for about half an hr, I put the water in without realising my mistake!

After I saw the Prime bottle still in the water sink, I was already 15mins late!

How will this affect everything in there?? My filter media? my substrate? Water quality?

PS, my betta is safe, sound and separated!

*stress*

Calm down.  Its not ideal, but its not the end of the world either.  I think everything will be just fine.  Add the correct dose now, and relax a bit.  Then observe for any problems.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have to agree, no need to panic at this stage at all. Simply add the dosage required and leave things as they are.

Bacteria and betta are more resilient than you think and a 15 - 30 min exposure will not do all that much I would have thought.

However, do keep an eye out for any issues, as Eagles already mentioned, think everything will be fine.

eaglesaquarium said:
Calm down.  Its not ideal, but its not the end of the world either.  I think everything will be just fine.  Add the correct dose now, and relax a bit.  Then observe for any problems.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Ch4rlie said:
Have to agree, no need to panic at this stage at all. Simply add the dosage required and leave things as they are.

Bacteria and betta are more resilient than you think and a 15 - 30 min exposure will not do all that much I would have thought.

However, do keep an eye out for any issues, as Eagles already mentioned, think everything will be fine.
Haha.. I admit. I panicked! Tks guys for the assurance!

Don't forget, the amount of chlorine in our domestic supplies is at a concentration designed to kill off loose floating bacteria, not robust colonies like in our filters.

I've known many experienced, successful fishkeepers over the years (although it's less common nowadays) who regularly don't dechlorinate for water changes of 50% or less. I used to do them sometimes when my oscar scraped himself on something (he was always moving things around in his tank!), using the chlorine as a mild anti bacterial to stop any secondary infections setting in.

fluttermoth said:
Don't forget, the amount of chlorine in our domestic supplies is at a concentration designed to kill off loose floating bacteria, not robust colonies like in our filters.

I've known many experienced, successful fishkeepers over the years (although it's less common nowadays) who regularly don't dechlorinate for water changes of 50% or less. I used to do them sometimes when my oscar scraped himself on something (he was always moving things around in his tank!), using the chlorine as a mild anti bacterial to stop any secondary infections setting in.
Another comforting assurance! Tks! :)

fluttermoth said:
 using the chlorine as a mild anti bacterial to stop any secondary infections setting in.

That's an interesting idea Flutter.  I've been wondering if there were any circumstances where using chlorinated water might be beneficial.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back