The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fisharecool789

Reaction score
what is some good food for angelfish? for now all i’ve got for them is the standard tetra tropical flakes, they also eat the freeze dried blood worms (i feed my betta those as well) and i crush up some API freshwater pellets because they’re too big for them to handle whole. preferably foods/brands sold at petco or petsmart bc my town does not have an LFS :{

When it comes to fish foods, there are good brands and less good brands. And variety is always beneficial. Many of us here (myself included) use Omega One and New Life Spectrum brands. These two do not have fillers and binding agents like cereals, which are not very good for fish. I use the NLS flake, and the Omega One Veggie Flake; they also make a shrimp flake. The mini pellet foods by either manufacturer are also good. These are for upper water fish (like angelfish); the sinking foods (pellets, disks, tabs) are good for substrate-feeding fish like corydoras catfish, loaches, plecos, etc. The Veggie flake and Rounds should be fed to all fish whether or not primarily vegetarian as the green improves fish digestion and is good for the intestinal tract. There are Bug Bites (can't remember who makes these) that are good.

The above should be the staple, meaning the foods fed most days. Frozen (fresh frozen, not freeze dried) foods like bloodworms are fine but only once a week, not more often, as they are not that wholesome. Frozen daphnia is an excellent frozen food.

Freeze dried foods are best avoided. If you do feed them, be sure to thoroughly soak them in water before placing them in the tank. These foods are notorious for being swallowed and then inflating as they get wet in the fish, causing problems. I just avoid freeze-dried completely, as this issue does not occur with the afore-mentioned flake/pellet foods and they are healthier otherwise too.

I did some extensive research for an article I wrote for the club (Central New York Aquarium Society) publication. ALL fish foods use grain starch as a binder. While Omega One is using 'fresh' fish, most of the leading brands are using WHOLE fishmeal. In some regards, by weight, whole fish meal can be better than fresh fish (that can include the ice it's packed in!).
Tetramin, NLS, Cobalt, Ocean Nutrition all use whole fishmeal.
I am currently using a mix (equal amounts) of Omega One, Cobalt, and Tetramin Tropical Flakes. In addition, I feed live foods (daphnia, micro worms, and white worms). White worms are very prolific and 70% protein, 15% fat. Great for growing out fish.
ALSO worth mentioning is Almost Natural. Ed uses table quality fish in his fish food blends.

I've had great success with Tetra Jumbomin large sticks. I crush them for smaller fish, their easy to break up in your fingers.
I also feed a treat meal each night usually frozen thawn adult brine shrimp. Sometimes I mix a portion of freeze dried bloodworm in with the brine shrimp as they thaw out.
The fluval bug bites are also used as a treat meal between batches of frozen brine.
I also keep a beef heart krill pellet mix on hand.
It's all about variety.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Forgot - I also agree with Byron that freeze dried foods should be avoided unless reconstituted really well. I think frozen foods are much better. I often treat with frozen spirulina brine shrimp after water changes & tank maintenance. I even freeze the white worms I culture (mini worm/ice cubes) when production levels exceed feeding amounts.

We feed TetraMin Tropical Flakes and Cobalt Ultra Spirulina to the adults. We grind the same food up and feed this to the babies after 4 weeks as we try to wean them of BBS. The fish really do well on this combo.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back