Fluval Roma 240 filter advice ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lupomen

Reaction score
Hi,
I am returning to aquariums after years of absence, but have kept all sorts in the past. I have bought a Fluval Roma 240 to keep Mbuna, which I have always wanted to keep. I am proposing to replace the fluval stuff supplied, with an Oase 850 Thermo external filter, to keep the tank equipment free (her indoors LOL!). Does this seem a good plan before I order the filter ?
Thanks

Paul.

Am I being thick? I don't understand what you mean ?

Am I being thick? I don't understand what you mean ?
Replacing the supplied Fluval 307 I think it is with a more powerful and heated external canister filter, thereby not needing the heater in the tank and improving the flow rate for what will be an overstocked tank as is the norm with Mbuna.

Hi,
I am returning to aquariums after years of absence, but have kept all sorts in the past. I have bought a Fluval Roma 240 to keep Mbuna, which I have always wanted to keep. I am proposing to replace the fluval stuff supplied, with an Oase 850 Thermo external filter, to keep the tank equipment free (her indoors LOL!). Does this seem a good plan before I order the filter ?
Thanks

Paul.
Sounds a good plan to me. Better flow aswel as capacity for extra media will help maintain the tank better and you get the added benefit of less eqiupment inside which makes it a no brainer really :)

Replacing the supplied Fluval 307 I think it is with a more powerful and heated external canister filter, thereby not needing the heater in the tank and improving the flow rate for what will be an overstocked tank as is the norm with Mbuna.
Ah! I didn't realise the heater was in the filter ? good idea!

I read it as tank-equipment free.... Instead of tank equipment-free ? makes sense now!

Without starting a new thread can I broaden this out into lighting ? I have just bought a Fluval aqua sky 33w light to replace the one supplied with the aquarium which I understand is inadequate. My question is should I keep both or just use the aqua sky?
Appreciate the advice and thanks.
Paul.

Without starting a new thread can I broaden this out into lighting ? I have just bought a Fluval aqua sky 33w light to replace the one supplied with the aquarium which I understand is inadequate. My question is should I keep both or just use the aqua sky?
Paul.
I was just about to make a thread for exactly this question... I bought the same tank, advertised as having aquasky LEDs but it came with just the generic LEDs you get from fluval... So rather disappointed as I was going to do a planted tank... But if these lights are going to be naff then I'll need to upgrade before I start setting up

I had the fluval 200 and the light that came with it was ok,but I switched to the aquasky for the reason that I could use it through the app and set it to what I wanted.I would say the light will be adequate.
I have the bio master thermo 650 on my 400l tank and it’s a brilliant filter.Very easy to clean thanks to the pre-filter.
Also quiet enough.

The newer models of the Fluval Roma come with Bluetooth LED lights (a slightly custom version of the AquaSky) installed. Have done for a year or so.

My Roma 240 arrived yesterday and the lights work great, fully customisable and programmable through the app.

I'd maybe hold fire on replacing the lights until yours arrive and then make a judgement when you've tried them, else I think you'll be replacing them for no reason (with the same thing!).

Paul.

I had the fluval 200 and the light that came with it was ok,but I switched to the aquasky for the reason that I could use it through the app and set it to what I wanted.I would say the light will be adequate.
I have the bio master thermo 650 on my 400l tank and it’s a brilliant filter.Very easy to clean thanks to the pre-filter.
Also quiet enough.
Meant to quote you both in my previous as replying to you. Still getting used to the forum...

Hi,
Thanks

Paul.
Go to the tropical discussion and the thread “adding a new filter” you will find my review on the differences between the oase thermo 850 and 600.might save you money.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back