Flame Scallops

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just to check memory serves correctly. Work should have some Flame Scallops coming in this week, and my supervisor reckons they are filter feeders. I vaguely remember someone somewhere saying they are actually photo-synthetic? I know filter feeding clams, even small ones like these that *supposedly* (if my supervisor is correct this time) only get to 2-3", are likely to go over due to lack of food in a 70l tank. However, a Photosynthetic one in a 70l under a 150W halide should be OK shouldn't it?

If Flame Scallops aren't Photosynthetic, can you recommend a clam that is and that stays small and should work OK in a smaller reef?

Thanks
Rabbut

i also considering getting myself a flame scallop and was wondering the same thing. also i am sure i have read/heard somewhere that they can be quite hard to look after and if one dies it has the potential to nuke your entire tank,,, is this true? as it put me off getting one. thanks in advance...

OK, been onto google...

Source one

These shellfish are filter feeders which means that they feed on tiny particles of food suspended in the water.

Going on to say

A mature Flame Scallop usually measures 3 inches (8 centimeters) in diameter.

Two sources saying the same thing. Would appear my supervisor was correct at face value... I think I'll be giving these a miss :good:

All the best
Rabbut

I would never recommend these guys, their captivity survival seems very low (because of lack of nutrition if i remember correctly) and they have the potential to nuke your tank when they die, especially a small one like yours.

Yup, not a good idea at all. As mentioned, a filter feeder like this is extremely hard to keep well fed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back