Fishless Or Fish In?

What should I do?

  • Fishless Cycle

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish In cycle

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
fishless..... why would any 1 want 2 subject there fish 2 such hazourdous conditions :(
 
Hi locker :)

Neither one. Since your father has a tank, you could divide the media and get started right away. Or, run your filter in his tank for a few weeks and the beneficial bacteria will grow in the media itself. Then you could add some fish as soon as you're ready to move it into your tank. The ones in his tank will quickly reproduce to replace them and the ones in your filter will reproduce to keep up with new additions as you go along.

This is called "cloning" a tank. :D
 
Thank You

I was just looking to see if anyone would attempt.

Will try to persuade dad(StatMan) to let me run my filter in his tank!!!!!
 
Hi locker :)

Neither one. Since your father has a tank, you could divide the media and get started right away. Or, run your filter in his tank for a few weeks and the beneficial bacteria will grow in the media itself. Then you could add some fish as soon as you're ready to move it into your tank. The ones in his tank will quickly reproduce to replace them and the ones in your filter will reproduce to keep up with new additions as you go along.

This is called "cloning" a tank. :D


ahhh yes didnt know dad had a tank lol but yep the way 2 go and much much quicker :)
 
Who Voted for fish-in?


Edited: i was wrong 2 presume this :) inch removing the bad contect here then this should have been removed aswell beens this is wot it was all about :(
 
Hi locker :)

Neither one. Since your father has a tank, you could divide the media and get started right away. Or, run your filter in his tank for a few weeks and the beneficial bacteria will grow in the media itself. Then you could add some fish as soon as you're ready to move it into your tank. The ones in his tank will quickly reproduce to replace them and the ones in your filter will reproduce to keep up with new additions as you go along.

This is called "cloning" a tank. :D


For a small fee of course?

So seeing as I am now 10 days into cylcling my tank are there benefits to just adding Locker's filter into the same tank?

I guess it will speed up the young'uns tank, would it slow down the setup on mine?

Would we just add water, "safe" water, to locker's Tank then move the filter over?

I have a 240L with an eheiim 2026, Locker's is a Fluval 205 for a 170L tank, would the 240L be ok with the two filters in? Nothing but Sand and rocks at the moment, could I add fish with the two filters in, we need to do some arranging before putting the 170L in place?

StatMan

fishless..... why would any 1 want 2 subject there fish 2 such hazourdous conditions :(

Don't worry I wouldn't let him anyway!!

Plenty of time to research the best places to buy his barbs!

StatMan
 
Hi locker :)

Neither one. Since your father has a tank, you could divide the media and get started right away. Or, run your filter in his tank for a few weeks and the beneficial bacteria will grow in the media itself. Then you could add some fish as soon as you're ready to move it into your tank. The ones in his tank will quickly reproduce to replace them and the ones in your filter will reproduce to keep up with new additions as you go along.

This is called "cloning" a tank. :D


For a small fee of course?

So seeing as I am now 10 days into cylcling my tank are there benefits to just adding Locker's filter into the same tank?

I guess it will speed up the young'uns tank, would it slow down the setup on mine?

Would we just add water, "safe" water, to locker's Tank then move the filter over?

I have a 240L with an eheiim 2026, Locker's is a Fluval 205 for a 170L tank, would the 240L be ok with the two filters in? Nothing but Sand and rocks at the moment, could I add fish with the two filters in, we need to do some arranging before putting the 170L in place?

StatMan

fishless..... why would any 1 want 2 subject there fish 2 such hazourdous conditions :(

Don't worry I wouldn't let him anyway!!

Plenty of time to research the best places to buy his barbs!

StatMan

pretty pointless IMO then if your tank is cycling he mite aswell just start his own fishless cycle the difference in days with the 2 wont make much difference infact he mite still cycle his tank quicker than urself lol :P
 
Hi StatMan :)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize your tank was still cycling. I thought you had fish already.

So seeing as I am now 10 days into cylcling my tank are there benefits to just adding Locker's filter into the same tank?

That's an interesting question. I've never thought about how the bacteria distribute themselves when they are just starting out. Why not start a thread in New to the Hobby about it?

Would we just add water, "safe" water, to locker's Tank then move the filter over?

If you do cycle both filters together, don't move it over until immediately before you add the fish. Without a source of ammonia, the bacteria will start to die off. There is very little bacteria in the water itself, but when I clone a tank, I use about 1/4 to 1/3 old water from another tank and fill it with dechlorinated water. It seems to keep the number of bubbles that form on the glass down.

Who Voted for fish-in?

some muppit that obviously doesnt care about there fish

Not me. Since there was no option, I made a null vote just to see how the voting was going. My tanks were started with fish originally, but that doesn't mean I was careless. Fishless cycling is a relatively new method. In fact, when I joined this forum in 2003, hardly anyone used it. Then, once I had established media, I never needed to try it out. :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top