fishless cycling, plants looking unhealth?

wonger

Reaction score
Im fishless cycling my 18 ltr tank using pure ammonia, temp 27c, it has an overhead filter which trickles the water back in and has an 8 watt single tube, its plain gravel between 30-50mm deep and i added a selection pack of 30 plants around day 5/6 along with a pro aqua fertilizer bag suitable for tanks up to 70 ltr, it seems my fishless cycle is progressing correctly with readings as expected, i was informed i should expect to lose around 20% of the plants when i ordered them, the tank is slim being only 6" so all plants are basically planted at the back area, some being in direct contact with the heater at one side and the pump pick up tube strainer at the other side

I noticed the following day after planting, that some plant leaves had fallen off or were curling slightly with brown patches and the some of the leaves of the tall plants that look like blades of grass were looking droopy and either had patches of a dull/translucent colour or had completely turned this dull/translucent colour, also im now noticing that around the areas of these unhealthly looking leaves there is a kind of very fine white floss growing, some of it resembles a kind of spiders web, its very fine and has strands about 20mm long, other patches are more condensed, im thinking that this is some sort of bad bactria caused by unhealthly/dead leaves, ive this morning removed every single dead leaf i could find and will moniter progress

So is the white floss anything to worry about at this present time, can i still introduce fish if this continues to grow?

I also understand that some plants can shed leaves, change colour and look rather unhealthy while thier settling into the differnt conditions and may grow healthy once settled in, thus i shouldnt jump the gun and remove them thinking their dead, but being a novice im unsure how long to wait as at the moment i dont know whats causing the white floss to grow?

Im thinking of making one of those home made CO2 kits as ive just read that even if the light isnt adequate it will still help the plants having increased CO2,
will this be a good idea?

Also the pro aqua plant fertilzer i added was the smallest that was sold, but was for tanks up to 70 ltr, its a tea bag type measuring 80x80mm and i had trouble positioning it where i wanted and thus it got disturbed quite alot alowing alot of the dust to escape and its basically settled all over the plants and gravel, could this cause a fertilizer overdose to the plants and should this all be vacumed up before adding the fish later?

Blimey did i really write all that?

:D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back