Fishless Cycling Log - Add & Wait Method

At 1410 today, the tank water was tested, PH 8.0.
Temp 29.1c.

Ammonia 4ppm BUT similar to yesterday but not 2ppm.

Tested Nitrite 2ppm.

Tested Nitrate 10ppm.

Log added to initial post. Click on the link.
Let me know if it works. :good:

Will try and eventually put results on graph.

Log added to initial post. Click on the link.
Let me know if it works. :good:

Will try and eventually put results on graph.
Link works fine Barry, your cycle is running nicely to.

Keith.

Thanks Keith.
Have been following your cycle.
Its good that people understand that knowledge and experience sharing is important. :good:

DAY 7

Temp 29.1c

Ph 8.0

Ammonia 1ppm - Do i wait till the next 24hrs test until its fully 0 zero before redosing ammonia or do i calculate up to 4ppm now?

Nitite 5ppm

Nitrate 20ppm

DAY 7

Temp 29.1c

Ph 8.0

Ammonia 1ppm - Do i wait till the next 24hrs test until its fully 0 zero before redosing ammonia or do i calculate up to 4ppm now?

Nitite 5ppm

Nitrate 20ppm
I would dose on the 24hr mark only, you want to avoid to much nitrite=nitrate in your water.

Keith.

The nitrite is now at testing limit for the API liquid kit.
The nitrate is still low.
I take it i am still way off doing a water change as total nitrogen in the tank is ok looking at nitrate levels and ph is fine?

Yes, you look to be definately starting in to the second phase of fishless cycling (nitrite spike phase) and you have no need of any water changes in sight since your pH is holding up nicely (8.0 to 8.4 is the optimal range) and your nitrate(NO3) levels are not that high at all yet. You got through the first phase very quickly.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks waterdrop.

DAY 8

Temp 29.2c

Ph 8.0

Ammonia 0.25ppm - i did test 2 hours early to try and get time periods easier for when 12hr testing in future. Will note dose ammonia until test is 0ppm at next 24hr interval.

Nitite 5ppm +

Nitrate 20ppm.

I take it i can continue to add bits of water and filter squeezing from established tank?

:good:

Oh yes, using your new tank as a "cleaning bucket" for an established filter is the second fastest way to get cycled, lol.

Like it waterdrop!

Todays tests:

DAY 9

Temp 29.2c

Ph 8.0

Ammonia 0ppm - beautiful colour! :hyper:

Nitite 5ppm +

Nitrate 30ppm - not 40ppm but darker than 20ppm.

Added 12.5ml ammonia.

Todays tests:

DAY 10

Temp 29.2c

Ph 8.0 - looked a bit lighter close to 7.4 but not 7.8. However, the low range PH was clearly 7.6.

Ammonia 0.25ppm - I added 15.5ml yesterday based closely on 4ppm for 300L of water. The calculations maybe out as tank is rated 350L but internal measurements show it to be about 328L. I added about 45kgs of gravel so have kept it simple and worked with a figure of 300L.
Unless anyone advises different, i will test tomorrow at 24hrs and wait for ammonia to get to 0ppm. Then i will dose to 4ppm again but test a little while later to see how much there actually is in the tank. How long should i wait before testing after dosing?

Nitite 5ppm +. Went purple in bottom of tube as soon as it was added.

Nitrate 5ppm - this has dropped for some reason? I have heard testing for nitrate can be unreliable. Will not bother repeating today unless advised to do so.

It depends on circulation of course but generally it works to wait at least 20 minutes after dosing before testing.

Yes, you've heard correctly. There are all sorts of things that make nitrate testing difficult (chemists have trouble with it too, not just amateurs) and one of them is that the test is not as reliable when there is high nitrite(NO2) present.

Since your nitrite(NO2) is now spiking, it's time to lower your dosing to as low as 2 or 3ppm, rather than 4-5ppm. This helps to slow down the negative effects on the bacteria of the hight processing rates that are happening. Much later, near the end of fishless cycling you will raise the dosing back up to 5ppm for the finish.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks waterdrop. :good:
I have just added about 10L water and a squeeze of the filter sponge from an existing tank.

Will adjust the dosing on Day 11 and test to check the quantity added.

Most reactions

Back