Fishless Cycling Log - Add & Wait Method

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BIG BAD BARRY

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Here goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper:

The tank is rated at 350 L but internal measurements for suitable filling mean it is about 328 L.
The filter i am using is a Eheim pro 3e 700 (2078). The bottom basket holds 2L of Mech media for mechanical filtration and there 3 baskets of substrate for biological filtration.

About 45Kgs of gravel have been added to the tank.

Yesterday 12-12-2010 at 2030, the tank was filled and the heater and an air pump with one outlet in the bottom of the tank was connected. The water temp was 9.2 c. Seachem Prime was added. Nothing else was connected.

Today 13-12-2010 at 1252, the filter has been connected up. The temp was 22.7c.
A 35mm square piece of foam sponge from an existing tank was cut into two pieces and placed in the lowest basket.
10 L water from an existing tank also added.
1/2 L in volume of gravel from existing tank also added.

At 1400 today, the tank water was tested, PH 7.8, Ammonia 0ppm at temp 23.4c.

At 1420 i added 15.5ml ammonia (for approx 300L of water) to raise it to 5ppm. The temp was 23.8c.
The temp is currently 24.7c and rising. The heater is set at 29c. The thermometer accuracy is +/- 1c.

The gravel was washed fully but the tank is still cloudy.

For the add and wait method, do i test for ammonia in 24hrs from 1420 today?

I will post a log in a few days time.
:good:

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO SEE LOG:

https://spreadsheets...d=0&output=html

By the way, tap water tested 0n 27-11-2010

PH - 8.4
Ammonia was 0 ppm
Nitrite was 0ppm
Nitrate appeared to be in between 0 and 5 ppm

:good:

WD - the one i am using is a digital probe thermometer. Its accuracy is +/- 1c which i have confirmed with a glass alcohol thermometer in the other tank.

It also refreshes the reading every 8 seconds.

Another question. I have a piece of bogwood that has been boiled and soaked and almost frozen!
When is the best time to introduce it as it is likely to lower the ph?

ta :good:

Personally I'd just keep soaking it in a container and not put it in the tank during the fishless cycling. The simplest cycles are ones with just gravel or bare tank.

~~waterdrop~~

Other stuff in the tank, like decorations, we sometimes just base on the social situation with kids and all, some families trying to fishless cycle are driven crazy by kids not understanding why there are not fish yet etc. - there's definately a maturity factor.

Other stuff in the tank, like decorations, we sometimes just base on the social situation with kids and all, some families trying to fishless cycle are driven crazy by kids not understanding why there are not fish yet etc. - there's definately a maturity factor.

That is exactly why i have already scaped my tank even though the cycle is not over yet. It gives the kids somthing to look at.

At 1420 today, the tank water was tested, PH 7.8 - 8.0, closer to 8.0
Ammonia 4ppm
Temp 29.1c. The temp of the tank has been steady since this morning ranging from 29.0 to 29.2c. The heater has been switching on and off when it has needed to.
The tank is much clearer and i would expect it to be fully clear in the next day or two.

Looks like you have the beginings of a good cycle there. Keep up the checks & keep us posted. :good:

Thanks. Will keep posting. Trying to work out how to do one of those google documents so that the log can be read easily as someone has done already for their cycling log.

Have been following your log as well. I wont say it but :good: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fortunately, the kids have an established tank.
The only exciting thing for them in the new tank are the bubbles!
The gravel got messed up during filling and i will have to re-scape it wheni i need to do a water change.

At 1423 today, the tank water was tested, PH 8.0
Ammonia 4ppm BUT definitely lighter than yesterday but not 2ppm
Temp 29.1c.
Water almost clear.

Thanks. Will keep posting. Trying to work out how to do one of those google documents so that the log can be read easily as someone has done already for their cycling log.

I believe its called a cloud document, I have no idea how it works but it may point you in the right direction

At 1400 today, the tank water was tested, PH 8.0.
Temp 29.1c.
Ammonia 4ppm BUT similar to yesterday but not 2ppm.
Tested Nitrite and it is showing 0.25ppm. Would this coincide with some ammonia being processed as the slight colour change shows? :huh:
Tested Nitrate and it is showing 5ppm. Tap water has less than that nitrate so would it be as a result of the items added from established tank?

Aqua Tom. Have started the log on excel and transferred it to google documents. Will get it posted soon!

Most reactions

Back