Fishkeeping On Easy

sic0198

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have a 29 gallon. I have a canister filter and a HOB filter I am gonna put plants, rocks and two pieces of drift wood in it. I am gonna go with a rainforest theme, - amazon maybe. I wanna go with south/central/amazon fish. I have a disability so I don't wanna stuff it with fish as I reall don't wanna clean it too often. I'm thinking of buying algae eating fishes [later on, after it has matured some. I'm thinking ottos. I'm also considering some shrimp. Two that I've settled on is 2 angelfish. I'm also considering 2 dwarf cockatoo cichlids, a pleco, and a honey gourami or 2. I also want something to eat any eggs a fish might lay in my tank [don't want any babies. And a snail [one that won't have babies]

What I need from you is some stocking help. I want it to look good. Don't forget about my disability, I'd like it to be low maintence and pretty easy to deal with. So I want shrimp to eat uneaten food and I'll use Ottos to eat the algae. Some fish to help wouldn't hurt either. I think a snail would work here. Also I like criticism both ways. Any tips, other stuff (equipment I can buy to make this easier or anything else) would be appreciated.

I do know that no matter what I put it there maintence will be necessary. I will have plenty of aeration too. The lighting will be a normal flourescent bulb. But if needed I could get another one.
 
Just about any tank set up i can think of needs plenty of water changes. Like angels, they can be VERY delicate, and so are Cockatoo's. Pleco's , unless your speaking of bristlenose's get to big for your tank.
 
Most plecos get too big but I am going for the small ones. I will get the water changes done.
 
If you willing to do water changes, then your stocking is about as far as you can go anyways. Your all set. If you plan on gettign plants, i suggest getting the best bulb you cant, mine die with flourscent. Dont fall for the " Sun-glo" bulbs. That what i have. I couldnt even keep java moss alive!
 
Would this combo work

2 angels
2 dearf cichlids
2 honey gouramis
1 bristlenosed pleco or 2 clown plecos
some shrimp
snail [apple i think]

That's a good sized list. I think it's too much for a 29.

Are plecos big waste producers?
 
Yes. PLeco's poop more than they eat. I wouldnt push your stocking. I think you should skimp on the gourami's. They are more sensitive than angels ( in my experience)
 
that should be fine providing you have the right filtration and hiding places for the dwarf cichlids bolivian rams are my favourite dwarf cichlid

also what layout do you have for your convicts because when i move my fish into my 50 gal im getting im thinking of a pair of breeding convicts any good tips will be appreciated
 
I just had driftwood, plastic plants [floating and one that was placed in the gravel, and 2 flower pots in there, my convicts thrived. It's best to fwwd the veggies and meat. Mine like frozen cichlis food, just mix it up. They are greedy and cool to wath eat. Mine liked dried bloodworms. Like i say they aree greedy so they have no food preference. They will eat as much and as often as there is food. They breed like crazy. You've heard the comparison between them and rabbits- rabbits have nothing on them.

Would rams be better than cockatoos for my setup? I don't think I'll be able to get cockatoos.
 
Well, in my OP, Cockatoo's look better. I kept a sick cockatoo alive longer than i did a healthy G.B.R. ( he died in 3 days, the cockatoo lasted a month).

Rubbernose. Its still a pleco. He/she will still poop alot.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top