Fishkeepers With Partners

honesty is the best policy !! :)

  • oh yes my partner is 110% behind me, and never objects to the time/money i spent with the fish

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • my partner is tolerent, but i wouldnt take them to the lfs cos they would be sighing to go home

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • my partner hates the amount of time and money i spent on/with my fish

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • dont have a partner so i blow as much cash as i like without any worries :)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Im somewhere between the top too, my partner sometimes sighs but I get dragged round clothes shops so I get my time in the fish shops.

She doesnt mind the money aspect of it but Im fairly careful having recently been saddled with a big mortgage!
 
Attitude of kindly tolerance is the best we can ever hope for from Mr Dwarfgourami.
I suppose he is aware it could be worse: I never own more than two pairs of shoes at the time and wear them until they fall to bits.
He will do water changes when I'm away for a month in the summer.
 
I think my hubby is not as tolerant about my next project. Turning my 125 gallon into a sw reef tank. He knows how much it will cost. But I think he feels a little better about it b/c I'm going to save cash for each piece that I need. So he knows I'm not going to run up credit cards or use some of our savings for it. I don't like using credit cards anyway.
 
Mrs D loves me having fishkeeping as a hobby but does get a bit :crazy: at water changing time. (i mess up the house a bit :rolleyes: )

I don't do the mates/pub thing (no mates :look: ) football, gambling, golf, in fact I am a BOF. :sad:

Therefore, I think she feels that I need an outlet so fishkeeping gets the big ok :good:

She watches my fish sometimes and occasionally comes with me to the LFS and LOVES the big Puffers.

She got me the AquaOne for my 50th!

We are married......honest :hey:
 
Not quite 110%, I'd give her a 98% though.
Flippin Heck Tolak...thats more than most.

She is pretty awesome, and she knows that if anything important in life comes up the fish take a back seat. I do tend to get intensely focused on things if I'm on a roll, she adds a little guidance.



That's awesome CFC. At times my wife & I do a "let's make a deal" sort of thing, economize here to spend there. I save money by redoing the bathroom while she & the kids go to Arizona, I have a fun week off tearing the snot out of the house. Between this & backing off on some of the junk purchases we spend the money towards a big Memorial day bash, and a new pup. Always go for the win/win.

Hey dorsey, my wife figures the same way, a safe and moral midlife crisis, it beats fast cars & wild woman. Some of the guys at work are into the fast cars, major money pit.
 
My OH is as bad as me argueably worse...

If it was just me I'd be too lazy to have so many projects on the go in my personal time but his little Edgar (spotted puffer) is like his baby LOL :hyper:

He's too cool for foruming though so he just reads what I write etc and rolls his eyes :good:
Lotte***
 
well its really nice to See that theres only 1 partner that doesn't like the fish too much, other than that everyone speaks very highly of their other halves and its been really lovely reading your posts,

shelagh xxx :):)
 
lol Shelagh this came from CFC's post didn;t it

My wife likes the fact I like fish and animals etc but as we are a bit short at the moment and as we have children as well , I don;t think she would be too impressed if she knew the true value of my fish, saying that when I tell her a plec costs £8 she always says "as if it will be at least double that!"

she thinks its amusing I look at fish on internet instead of porn and that I travel to buy fish having bought some from Preston, Nottingham and Leeds this year
 
My partner thinks I am a fool. We rescued one betta which has multiplied into about 10 (other kinds of) aquatic creatures. He is mad because now that Charlie (the betta) died, I am going to get another one-eventually. He thought it was great that he was gone cos he thought the heard was shrinking! :(
He also hates the dwarf puffers (species only) tank! They were the final straw!
But then came the hospital tanks (for Charlie, of course). Now he's just given up on stopping me!!!

I also always cut the price of the fish in half when he asks!!!! hehehe, SHHHHHHHH don't TELL HIM!!!!!
--so, there is a lesson here, keep at it and your partner will eventually quit nagging you!!!! hahaha!!! :lol:
 
I do tend to get intensely focused on things if I'm on a roll, she adds a little guidance.

I like that one, again from Tolak. I know exactly what he means. LOL
Regards
BigC
 
i don't have a partner but my parents aren't that interested. my mum doesn't even come into the lfs with me! my dad does although he isn't that interested - he just moans when i say that i'm redoing my tanks again. my sister does pretend to be interested with her little 10gal.

they have been pretty good to let me have three tanks although they won't let me get another but i'm working on it ;)
 
I feel like my family doesn't care for all my fish stuff. I'm not allowed to set up any more tanks :sad:, so I've just been upgrading them lately. They complain about all the money I spend on them though. But I could care less about that.
 
My partner thinks I am a fool. We rescued one betta which has multiplied into about 10 (other kinds of) aquatic creatures. He is mad because now that Charlie (the betta) died, I am going to get another one-eventually. He thought it was great that he was gone cos he thought the heard was shrinking! :(
He also hates the dwarf puffers (species only) tank! They were the final straw!
But then came the hospital tanks (for Charlie, of course). Now he's just given up on stopping me!!!

I also always cut the price of the fish in half when he asks!!!! hehehe, SHHHHHHHH don't TELL HIM!!!!!
--so, there is a lesson here, keep at it and your partner will eventually quit nagging you!!!! hahaha!!! :lol:

pmsl... you remind me of someone i know, when i was in a bad mood for 3 days ( tears too) because i needed an external filter for my beloved Oscars, my ex would make comments like, for goodness sake £80 for a filter?? and "they are only fish"
anyway after i didn't speak to him for the 3 days i got the filter on the 4th day and he came over and saw how happy i was ( even i was amazed at how excited and happy a filter made me !!) he offered to pay for it, but being stubborn, i refused, so he then offered to take me to the lfs for a prezzie, which i resfused again as i didn't need anything at the time for the fish,or anymore fish, but i think what we both got out of this is that we both realized how important my fish are to me, i look after the children on my own, i dont go out on the town with pals,i dont drink/go out at all infact,i never put myself first,I'm not interested in clothes shopping, so as someone else said ( think it was doresy) its an outlet for me, i know things like filters and stuff can be very expensive, but i did sell ( half heartedly) one of my tanks to fund that, and i dont miss it because i see the difference in the Oscars,so its not that I'm dipping into the household money to fund it either, anything anyone else needs will always come first to what the fish need,and i always get up at stupid o`clock in the morning to do the maintenance on the tanks, so anything i need to be distracted from the family for is very minimal when it comes to the fish :)
shelagh xxxx
 

Most reactions

Back
Top