Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Geez!!!... choosing a topic to post under is usually half the battle won, but since there is non for jargon rubbish, let's take it from here.

The topic "Hmmm"!!, actually caused me to make a revelation that I'm not very proud of, but it did happen, so this is my truth (or dare) in "What's the worst thing you've ever done to yer fish"??...

One night, (I was about @?/*&een) years old at the time, I wondered how my fish would react if I feed them some wine....so, I did feed them some wine, and the immediate reaction did not afford me enough time to make the required water changes in time.... (it was a big 5ft x 2ft x 2ft angle ironed tank) I lost some , (or the most) & really saw no other action that dying fish...

What unadvisable (surely not surpassable), silliest thing have you ever done to your aquarium / come fish??... Tell us or streak down your main street in broad daylight.

my very first male baby swordtail jumped out of the bucket i had him in when i was moving and i accidentally stepped on him.i don't know if this falls into your category but i was still devastated.

I put a crayfish in w/my corydoras before I was aquarium litterate :crazy: caught the crawdad nibbling chunks out of a cory that was still alive :sad: :sick:

My hubby reached in to mess w/the cray (i'm wan't gonna touch it) and it let the cory go. Surprisingly the cory lived for a long time :)

After that my hubby would break the pinchers off the cray so he couldn't grab my fish. They grew back everytime he moulted.

Prob the worst thing, which isnt really too bad at all, was to a dove snail from my marine tank. I havd everything else in buckets and ready to be moved when I moved to my new apartment and I was searching the substrate for the snails (they bury themselves in the substrate unless they smell food). I found 2 of the the three and spent about another 10 minutes sifting the crushed coral and I couldn't find the last little *&$%tard so I just said forget it. So I left about half a tank of water to get cold with no filtration. I doubt if it made it through the night... felt kinda bad about it but I was nervous about making the fish and coral wait any longer.

Ox :unsure:

I was doing tank maintenance (cant remember what) but had a harlequin rasbora in a washing up bowl on my worktop. Few mins later caught my toddler wandering around with something in her little clenched fist... Seems the fish had lept out of the bowl behind my back and she was on the ball that day!! Urgh...had to laugh though!

I'm really feeling worse now (although my incident happened in the early 1970's) cause all your little mishaps does not nearly match my "sin"....

i thought mine was kinda bad...putting in a creature that eats the others alive and then breaking the crays pinchers off so he couldn't do it anymore :blush:

what a terrible thing to do ! consider your wrists well and truely slapped !! ( :lol:)

the worst thing i did was............. picked up a bala shark that had jumped out of a bucket ( during a gravel change) with a knife and fork..... no i dont mean i stabbed him, i just used the knife to push him onto the fork to put him back in......... the fish later died of septicemiea.......well, it was a spur of the moment thing :unsure: :blush:

shelagh xxxxx

Ok Ludwig, I think I have something along the lines of what you did, only worse.

I was around 17 (so I should have known better) and basically got bored with the tank I had, I mean I had better things to do than take care of a tank. :rolleyes: :blush: And since I was following the LFS guide to cycling and stocking (Ha), I had a massively overstocked tank where at least a couple of fish a week died. So instead of being smart and selling the stuff off, I just left the fish in the tank and didn't change the water for months and occasionally chucked in some food if I remembered. My mom finally put her foot down and made me break down the tank after there were more moldy floating dead bodies than live fish. :sick:

At the time I didn't care, but now I cringe at the thought of what those poor fish suffered. :crazy: When I started keeping fish again, I promised myself that I would do tons of research and NEVER neglect my fish like that again, and fortunately I found TFF which has made life so much easier. :good:

wow dthoffsett, I would've never guessed. I think we've all been through big learning curves a time or 2, huh ;)

wow dthoffsett, I would've never guessed. I think we've all been through big learning curves a time or 2, huh ;)

I'm still embarrassed about what I did, but if you don't learn from your mistakes you might as well give up. Though some of us are more dense than others, and need a bigger learning curve. :lol:

i thought mine was kinda bad...putting in a creature that eats the others alive and then breaking the crays pinchers off so he couldn't do it anymore :blush:

YOU MAKE ME FEEL SICK, HOW COULD YOU......I AM VERY DISAPOINTED WITH YOU AND AM ASHAMED TO EVEN BE ASSOSIATED WITH YOU. JEEEEZ SOME PEOPLE U THINK YOU KNOW THEM !!! :(:(:(:( :no: :no: :no:

YOU MAKE ME FEEL SICK, HOW COULD YOU......I AM VERY DISAPOINTED WITH YOU AND AM ASHAMED TO EVEN BE ASSOSIATED WITH YOU. JEEEEZ SOME PEOPLE U THINK YOU KNOW THEM !!! :(:(:(:( :no: :no: :no:
:blink:

I think the worst thing I ever did was let my little sister feed my 29 gallon, while I went to a friends house. I even showed her how much to feed them. I had the tetra min flakes, in the huge canister. She pretty much dumped all of it in. Some fish died, sadly. But from now on, even though she is like 2-3 years older, I still don't let her go near my aquarium unless I'm there.

YOU MAKE ME FEEL SICK, HOW COULD YOU......I AM VERY DISAPOINTED WITH YOU AND AM ASHAMED TO EVEN BE ASSOSIATED WITH YOU. JEEEEZ SOME PEOPLE U THINK YOU KNOW THEM !!! :( :( :( :( :no: :no: :no:
i have made my thoughts known on this before, if a critter does not belong with your other stock, take it out. it is utter arrogance to assume you have the right to try and modify stock to suite your own wants.

YOU MAKE ME FEEL SICK, HOW COULD YOU......I AM VERY DISAPOINTED WITH YOU AND AM ASHAMED TO EVEN BE ASSOSIATED WITH YOU. JEEEEZ SOME PEOPLE U THINK YOU KNOW THEM !!! :( :( :( :( :no: :no: :no:
i have made my thoughts known on this before, if a critter does not belong with your other stock, take it out. it is utter arrogance to assume you have the right to try and modify stock to suite your own wants.
I don't see what your guys' problem is. This was topic was pretty much about "oh, I shouldn't have done that and now I feel dumb/ bad" kinda thing. It's not to criticize anyone. It happened in the past and it can't be changed. No one needs to be criticized on how they used to keep fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back